Logo Design Critique

Mister Fire

Hi everyone!

I am new to the Graphic Design Forum and this is my first post.

I was given the responsibility to design a logo for a community called Astha, which helps out old people. It is a very serious issue in India right now (maybe world wide) that young people when they get a job and start a new family, they usually give less attention to their old parents and leave them on their own. Sometimes, the parents manage to live on their own, but sometimes, they do require a kind of recreation or something to pass the time, something fruitful to do. Often they require timely medical help which they may not be able to get on their own.

So this community helps them with just that. Along with this, Astha does a few other social work as well.

Anyway, a few details they provided are as follows -
1. They want the logo in the Bengali script.
2. They want something symbolic like a hand or something that gives the idea of help/care.

So here is the way the name, Astha is written in the Bengali script.
script.jpg
Incorporating a hand in a logo has been experimented with a lot, but even then, since they want it, I did give it a try. But non-Latin scripts are kind of difficult to design in this format. Here is what I came up with -

1.jpg

2.jpg

I would really appreciate if anyone could critique these options and help me out! The space and balance is very important and unfortunately I am at a loss trying to fix that. It is a bit challenging, but there must be some smart way to solve this!

Looking forward to your comments! Thanks in advance.

Regards

Not being a native Bengali speaker/reader then it's very hard for me to judge if it works in a typographical way in the same way that I could with Latin text as I'm kind of flicking between what you've done and your reference and looking at the shapes.

Thing is... I do like what you've done especially with the first one and incorporated the "A" into the palm and I also like the fingertip shapes which do look South Asian/Indian to me.
If legibility is a problem (something I can't spot) wouldn't it be possible to have the palm as a separate symbol accompanied by Astha?
When I look at it that way I do like the other rounded versions for their simplicity as well but more with the straight fingers.

Thanks for your reply!

Not being a native Bengali speaker/reader then it's very hard for me to judge if it works in a typographical way in the same way that I could with Latin text as I'm kind of flicking between what you've done and your reference and looking at the shapes.

I understand. What I mainly wanted to know was whether the shapes and the overall design looks balanced or not!

Thing is... I do like what you've done especially with the first one and incorporated the "A" into the palm and I also like the fingertip shapes which do look South Asian/Indian to me.
If legibility is a problem (something I can't spot) wouldn't it be possible to have the palm as a separate symbol accompanied by Astha?

I am glad you liked the incorporation of the "A" portion in the palm. The good thing is, legibility is not a problem. I tested it out with several others who can read Bengali and fortunately, all of them could read the text in one go. Most probably because there is no other word in the script which spells like this (that helped me).

Yes, I could have used the palm as a separate symbol, but I wanted to give it a try to incorporate the "A" with the palm and check how it worked out!

When I look at it that way I do like the other rounded versions for their simplicity as well but more with the straight fingers.

Yeah, personally I preferred the other rounded versions because, they have a more modern and simple feel to them.
The first one is kind of obvious in the sense of how the symbolic thing works.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Only thing I would attend to on the first one is the spacing between the little finger and the ring finger which is a little tighter than the rest and also where the rounded cap joins the circle of the palm.
It seems a tiny bit short and leaves a very slight indent to my eyes.

Other than that....Thumbs up from me.
(Bad pun alert) ;)

1.jpg

Only thing I would attend to on the first one is the spacing between the little finger and the ring finger which is a little tighter than the rest and also where the rounded cap joins the circle of the palm.
It seems a tiny bit short and leaves a very slight indent to my eyes.

Other than that....Thumbs up from me.
(Bad pun alert) ;)

View attachment 6300
Yes you are right. That spacing is incorrect. The rounded cap issue is something which I believe every Illustrator user faces. That thing is just moving to the right spot. It is either overshooting or moving behind the correct position! Gaaaah! Frustrating as usual!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

You can fix the cap issue a few ways.

As long at the finger is 'aligned right to the circle of the hand you can zoom in and correct that by either adding a little patch over it or unifying the shapes and then deleting the offending nodes.

Hi everyone!

I am new to the Graphic Design Forum and this is my first post.

I was given the responsibility to design a logo for a community called Astha, which helps out old people. It is a very serious issue in India right now (maybe world wide) that young people when they get a job and start a new family, they usually give less attention to their old parents and leave them on their own. Sometimes, the parents manage to live on their own, but sometimes, they do require a kind of recreation or something to pass the time, something fruitful to do. Often they require timely medical help which they may not be able to get on their own.

So this community helps them with just that. Along with this, Astha does a few other social work as well.

Anyway, a few details they provided are as follows -
1. They want the logo in the Bengali script.
2. They want something symbolic like a hand or something that gives the idea of help/care.

So here is the way the name, Astha is written in the Bengali script.
View attachment 6297
Incorporating a hand in a logo has been experimented with a lot, but even then, since they want it, I did give it a try. But non-Latin scripts are kind of difficult to design in this format. Here is what I came up with -

View attachment 6298

View attachment 6299

I would really appreciate if anyone could critique these options and help me out! The space and balance is very important and unfortunately I am at a loss trying to fix that. It is a bit challenging, but there must be some smart way to solve this!

Looking forward to your comments! Thanks in advance.

Regards

Your Logo designs are pretty good:)

One word with different design nice touch though, but here letter should be understandable otherwise people cant understand what it actually is.

Back