Logo design critique

Rogue

Hello all, a new Business Card / possible new logo I've whipped up for the company I've just started work... Still an work in progress but any feedback & crit would be welcome...

Attachments

• bluebirdpressBC 1.pdf
    372 KB · Views: 60
Yeah that's pretty cool. I like it. There's a few little white lines I can see around the shapes that form the bird not sure if that's intentional. If you want a recommended printer btw Solopress are pretty neat. I got a free sample pack from them a few weeks back and the quality is wicked!

Thanks for the feedback... :) The white lines are just an issue with saving it as a PDF I think... o_O They don't exist in the original illustrator file. I'm certainly going to be sketching the font out myself, I had played with the font by expanding & playing the nodes etc... just to really get something made up, but that's the feel/style I'll be going for. Ta, for editing the title... ;)

After sorting some of the readability of the font out I'm thinking of staying with it... I can't seem to get that look in my own hand... :(

Update...

View attachment 1205

Attachments

• BBPLOGO.png
    BBPLOGO.png
    386.1 KB · Views: 54
I find that when I look at a logo and can't read the text straight away, in one go without having to pause to try and work out even single letters, then there's something wrong.

Unfortunately this is the case with the text in your logo. When I enlarge it it becomes clearer, but still I don't get it straight away and at smaller dimensions I can imagine it being very difficult for someone who has never seen it before (and already knows what it says) to actually work out what it says.

I like the bird though, it's interesting. The left foot looks a little awkward though!

Thanks for the feedback Squiddy, I've taken on board what you've said & I'll take another crack @ it... I'm not keen on the feet either, I've done some claws but they're not looking right .... It's mainly the S's @ the end I think, I'll tweak those & see what happens..

Do you have to stick to it being a single colour logo? If you add a splash of blue to the bird does the text becomes more readable?

It's not that the text blends into the bird or anything, it's the style which makes the text unreadable to me.

Good luck with yout logo and let us know how you get on :)

I agree with Squiddy but I'd add this:
a little splash of blue on the last part (near the feet) of the chest would bring this alive and the font is too scruffy mate seriously, I'd take a look at the 'handwritten' section of DaFont.com - I'm sure I've seen a font like the one in your logo but clearer...

Thanks, I did find that font on dafont.com. I was kinda going for the "scruffy" look on that particular iteration. I haven't really worked on this for a while but I'm gonna have another go soon I think. Thanks for the feedback.

Rogue said:
Thanks, I did find that font on dafont.com. I was kinda going for the "scruffy" look on that particular iteration. I haven't really worked on this for a while but I'm gonna have another go soon I think. Thanks for the feedback.
When you get round to it, post the revision up? :) Or some more of your work :)

Also, the fact that I had to open it up from the thumbnail is maybe a sign that it's not very legible (as the others have said).
I would suggest when you finish a design zoom out and have a look at what it shows when it's much smaller. Usually that is a good indication to the simplicity of the text/icon.
Looking forward to an updated version of the design.

Here's how you sort it out....... Form or function? If form is more important then its all about aesthetic, readability and how recognisable it is can go clean out of the window, its all about how pretty it is...
If function is more important then a much more basic and easily recognisable format is required, your job as a designer is to find the balance between the form and function of the logo... right now I would say that you are 80 percent leaning towards the form, and the function of your logo is 20 percent.
That being said, ask yourself this, what is the purpose of a logo... is it aesthetically pleasing shapes, colours, feel, something that looks pretty in your portfolio, or a mark that is easily recognised and associated with the client and their brand while in some form trying to communicate their values, product and ethics....

Back