logo design critique please

Hi there

Im trying to get my feet of the ground with my freelance work, and im trying to decide on my logo before planning my website. Would it be possible to get your thoughts on these 2 so far.

Thank you

Laurajanedesigns

Attachments

• Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 47
I think the concept is good but the LJ motif is waaaayyyyy too big IMO. Imagine fitting that sensibly on a business card or on a website banner...

Should probably add that being predominantly a coder I tend to think practically about everything. This may stunt my creative flair to be honest but that is who I am. Perhaps let some of the more creatively 'free-spirited' types take a look as well :icon_wink:

The thing that strikes me is that the logo creates a bit of an awkward footprint (I can't think of any I've see which are as tall and narrow) and that the size difference between the LJ device and the 'designs' bit is huge (the 'design' bit is rightly smaller but I feel that the balance here is weighted too far the other way).

First thing I'd look into is a shorter, fatter shape for LJ, I think.

The thing that strikes me is that the logo creates a bit of an awkward footprint (I can't think of any I've see which are as tall and narrow) and that the size difference between the LJ device and the 'designs' bit is huge (the 'design' bit is rightly smaller but I feel that the balance here is weighted too far the other way).

First thing I'd look into is a shorter, fatter shape for LJ, I think.

I think DaveL has put what I was trying to say in a much better way :icon_biggrin:

ok thanks, i just wanted the 'designs' to become a part of the top of the 'J' if that makes sense? Ill try making the LJ less bold, and then as you mention, a shorter fatter shape for LJ

I think there is some awkwardness about both of your versions Laura. As others have mentioned about the first one, I think you would find this difficult to work with in certain scenarios such as a website as it will create awkward white space around it and take up a fair bit of length on a page.

The newer, more landscape orientated one has a better use of space but I think at the moment is looking a bit weak. I think a really good idea may be to get some tracing paper, trace over what you have, and then change it, a little every time you trace it - kind of morphing it into something else as you go, playing with different line widths, perhaps even change the case of 'designs' so you don't have the g hanging down and are able to play with that word as more of a shape than text.

Back