Logo Design Competition – Brief

NW_Fashion

The North West Fashion Network is a new website and blog project dedicated to fashion in the North West.

The network will promote local fashion companies, events and jobs, as well as giving students the opportunity to showcase their work and gain experience through various competition and projects.

The network’s launch will take place at the beginning of November and to prepare for the reveal of the new website we are running a Logo Design Competition.

REMOVED

We are looking for students from the North West to design the brand’s official logo. The logo should be simple, eye-catching; preferably fashion related and incorporate the words ‘North West Fashion’ or the initials 'NW Fashion'.

The logo also needs to be suitable to use on e-mail, letter heads, print and social media promotion and also legible on fashion photoshoot imagery.

All short listed designs will be featured on the networks blog and social media pages, along with information about the designer.

There is a £50 cash prize for the winner and the winning design will be announced during the first week of November.

Deadline; 31st October 2012

For more information or to submit your entry please e-mail; REMOVED

Kind regards,

Claire Wilkinson

REMOVED

When will people learn... I assume that 'winning' the competition will give the 'lucky' designer fantastic 'exposure' and is sure to lead to 'loads of great work in the future' yes?

This competition is aimed mainly at students, who don't get the opportunity to showcase their work. The North West Fashion Network is all about giving young people experience and the chance to make a name for themselves - apologies if this does not apply to you, or if the prize money seems unreasonable. I assume that you are freelance or are already working in the industry so £50 may not seem like a lot

You might not like the response towards your competition but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of us professionals were students once upon a time and were subjected to the "you should be grateful of the opportunity" attitude these competitions promote.

I agree, you may want to take a look at the NO!SPEC website.

You wouldnt ask 5 painters to paint your house and pay only the one you like the best, would you?

You might not like the response towards your competition but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of us professionals were students once upon a time and were subjected to the "you should be grateful of the opportunity" attitude these competitions promote.

I know a lot of companies may have this attitude and just use students for their own gain (I interned at several of these places myself while I was student), but that is exactly why I decided to set up the North West Fashion Network. The whole purpose of the network is so creative students - particularly those studying fashion related course, can gain experience.

I am not saying that should be grateful of the opportunity. If they can make £50 or more else where then that is great but I know from personal experience that finding creative work experience and trying to build up a portfolio, with the limited work available with the North West is hard. Although, I am speaking from a fashion background here, not graphic design.

does it need to be people only from the North West as I'm assuming they'll be like nothing like this on here for where I live...

I know a lot of companies may have this attitude and just use students for their own gain (I interned at several of these places myself while I was student), but that is exactly why I decided to set up the North West Fashion Network. The whole purpose of the network is so creative students - particularly those studying fashion related course, can gain experience.

I am not saying that should be grateful of the opportunity. If they can make £50 or more else where then that is great but I know from personal experience that finding creative work experience and trying to build up a portfolio, with the limited work available with the North West is hard. Although, I am speaking from a fashion background here, not graphic design.

As you have experience of trying to gain work experience in a tough field then I'm sure you'll appreciate that a logo design competition doesn't actually provide any real experience at all.

If you are serious about helping student designers then go to a local college and discuss the project with the tutors. Ask to see some final year portfolios and perhaps hand pick five or so that you'd like to offer a proper opportunity to. Then offer those students the chance to meet you for half an hour each (or in a group), talk about the brief, help them to see what a client/designer relationship is like and then ask them to produce some logo concepts. Be available on the phone if they have questions about the project and maybe even help them to set up a focus group of your peers in the fashion industry to present their ideas to and to get genuine feedback. When you choose your final logo perhaps go back into the college and meet the group again to discuss the winner, why you chose it and to help those who fell short of the mark to understand why and what they could do better in the future.

Now that is valuable experience for a student. A short brief on a website where the entrant works in isolation with no real interaction with you is frankly worthless and is, no matter how you dress it up, SPEC work. I'm sure the last thing you (and we) want is students of design thinking that SPEC is the norm! It will destroy confidence and we'll end up with the UK's talented designers wasting their lives in call centres.

If you are offering an opportunity, rather then just exploiting talent for a cheap logo, then you'll do something like I have suggested. Otherwise it is SPEC by another name and the NO!SPEC website applies.

Last edited:
Back