Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logo Critique

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Logo Design Critique:' started by nikoloz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

Hey guys,

I'm taking part in this competition where I had to design a logo for next european youth Olympic games. Its almost done, and sending it tomorrow but thought before that I would post it here so some professionals from this website might have to say something about it.

some keywords : Youth, summer, fun, abstract, sporty, modern, new, chain, friendliness.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• lgg.jpg
      lgg.jpg
      File size:
      66.2 KB
      Views:
  2. lukedavies

lukedavies Member

3. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

The idea looks good but like Luke said it needs tidying up, try removing some of the rings, simplify it a bit

4. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

Guys Thank you for your comments.
    I have got double feelings about this my work, either its worst logo men could ever see or its the best one :) lool

but no, seriously I have tried to remove rings but that it losses its value and becomes to simple?! if you know what I mean and looses its abstraction too. :(

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I'd remove the blue one and the yellow one both in the centre. Just try it.

6. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

Thanks for comment Jimlad,
    as you have suggested i have removed 2 rings but not sure if it works now or not :)
    [​IMG]

I have also done some different variations on it.
    [​IMG]

this also looks like an a bird or originally pheasant which really is the symbol of this city.
    [​IMG]

and the easiest to repeat as a drawing when in your mind maybe most memorable?

7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

The first one definitely look better now. I'm not sure about making the rings resemble a bird or anything. But the first one is definitely less cluttered and easier to make sense of especially at smaller sizes.

8. captainrage

captainrage Senior Member

I think it looks better abstract, and I quite like your initial one.
    Have you tried not making the rings 3 dimensional, take out the shadow maybe?

Also, pink is quite a evocative colour - but gold is always good for Olympic based shenanigans.

9. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

Dont you think that what makes this logo to stand out is the exactly the colours and the way ring-elipse looks like 3d because of its transparent half sides of it?
    [​IMG]

10. lukedavies

lukedavies Member

I definitely think the logo looks better without the two rings that you took out.

Also, aren't the colours a little feminine? (Not sure if you're aiming for an audience of women)

Why don't you go for a slightly cleaner approach, using lines rather than circles? Although you've probably aimed to tie it in with the olympic rings. I was thinking maybe going for this kind of approach:

http://siahdesign.com/images/lesa.png

I just feel as if the mix of circles is a bit much. Maybe simplifying the graphic to follow a style like this may help. I assume you'd want to make it a bit more lively than the logo I linked though!

11. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

The first of the new images works great to me. I see what the guys are saying about the use of colours, looks like you are following on from the colours used in the London Olympics logo. Personally I think it looks good with the 3d effects, gives it body and could later be turned into great sculpture work for advertising. The only thing I would suggest is to use a new colour scheme, heep the logo how it is with the 2 rings taken out but just try a new colour set, you're definitely on the right path there.

12. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Ben on that one.

13. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

Thanks for you comments one more time, its really appreciated.

regarding the colours, I dont see this colour especially in logo without too much rings, colours from London Olympic logo, I just looked at it and there is several variations of colours on 2012 so some of them really might be.
    Also i do agree that it might be a little bit feminine, but my whole point with colours is to express bit childish, fun, and summer. I'm still trying out different colour combinations but so far this is what I like, also pink-red may be but feminine, but most women and men would associate it to love eventually :)

14. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

here are some colour variation, which one is your favourite?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

Guys,
    The competition deadline is on monday so please comment me something now so i send most satisfying work what they will get from. :) :clap:

16. captainrage

captainrage Senior Member

Quick question.. Why aren't the rings the same colour as the Olympic rings?

17. nikoloz

nikoloz Member

few reasons,
    1.its only 4 rings in it
    2.5 ring colour in olimpic logo stands for continents and this is only european festival.
    3.its bit boring I think to use 5 ring logo and 2015 logo together all in same colours.

18. lukedavies

lukedavies Member

The first one or last for me :)

19. GibbonsGraphics

GibbonsGraphics Junior Member

I hope your competition went okay. I like how abstract your creations are above.

20. rogerweikers

rogerweikers Junior Member

Sounds crazy, but I can see the Mickey Mouse head on this logo :)

I love the colours and movement.