Logo critique for BKS

Arguably, the previous lion didnt say motor apparel either.

The new logo i feel is too clean for it tho.

Think of the stereotypical biker....

(Sorry to all bikers)

Tim, still hate it.....and I'll tell you why you'll never ever crack it, and I'll be brutally honest. For the right constructive reasons. I'm being hyper harsh because you need early discipline to survive this road

You're a very keen talented young thing with bags of enthusiasm that needs nurturing and developing.
I genuinely fear that you are running ahead of yourself and your abillty and will be a victim of your own overestimations. You are 15, and I would not charge anyone that inexperience with understanding the complexiities of brand development and ID. You're looking at this one dimensionally as a pure graphic and you don't comprehend the strategy or rationale behind the the thinking. Anyone can do a logo, it''s subjective, but not many can produce a Brand ID because that is solved in the thought process not the graphic. It take years of mistakes and results before it all clicks. Young Guns burn brightly and they come up short changed because their work has no depth or substance. There is no quick fix to design, it is hard work and brain power.
Put the mouse down and use the brain first. Get yourself into an agency quick before you develop a self indulgent, opinionated way of working.

Anyone can play a tune, but can you read music? There is reason for every piece of communication, typeface, leading, kerning and colour. That has to be justified to someone, whether a Creative Director, Client, Brand manager etc. They will ultimatley want to know why? What's the rationale? what's the reason? whats the strategy behind the design? If you have'nt got the answers, how can you sell it in?

Fair enough, I do see your point.

I brainstormed for about three hours and TBH I wasn't happy with it, I just needed suggestions TBH. I'll refund the guy and redirect him somewhere else. :)

I agree with berry to a degree but I dont think you should short-change yourself.

If hes aware of your experience (age has no context in this) then he will know what to expect. Have you looked at the branding of similar companies? concentrate on the elements you like and try and replicate those elements (not the design). You wont get any professionally employed work aged 15 so use this time to build contacts and try out new techniques.

Tim if you haven't already, ask them why they're called Lion Leathers? or Lion Bikewear... this may help you to brainstorm new ideas and approaches for the logo. First things that spring to mind with regards to their name for me, are that they have a connection to the 'fire-y' nature of lions, as well as the speed and aggression, being close to the ground on a bike, cutting corners, like a lion?! there might even be some obscure connection you could make with the lion and the front of a bike, when you're using Lion gear, you're safer, etc.

With the last logo you posted there's no connection to the company and what they stand for, as Berry says no communication about what they do, that could easily be a generic lion logo for an events company or a stationery supplier, work on ideas that connect the name to the company and strengthen their reasons for choosing the name.

Hope that helps.
Greg

Tim, the starting point is the most important part of any job. You have to fully understand the client, the marketplace, the target audience and the change of perception that the new design may have or deliver.
If it's for bikewear leathers, you have to create an engagement with bikers. Why do they bike? How do they feel, what brand engagement will they connect with. Start off with Googling bike logos, BSA, Harley, Motor Guzzi, etc then the apparel brands like Vannuci, Highway 1,Cycle Spirit and try and see where their 'heads' are. Motor bikes are about freedom, power and independence., start there

Great advice ^

You'll probably end up getting much more out of this than the client will, cant be a bad thing!

Berry said:
freedom, power and independence.

That's what I was trying to get at with the comparison to the lion characteristics, only you seem to have said it in fewer words and in a better way! :p

Sound advice from Berry! should be a great project for you to learn from Tim (as Brendan rightly points out)

An idea that has sprung to my mind would be to have handlebars coming of the top or through the main of the lions head (lions haeed being the view of a passport photo) and an agressive mouth maybe being the light on the front of the bike?

Could possibly be really cheesy but if it doesnt work it may give you other ideas.

Back