Logo/Business Card Take Two.

exactly, that's whats great about this forum, everyones always helpful and we're always learning from eachother, I certainly wouldn't be who I am today without the help of the guys on the forum

Can I just point out how similar to the Adobe logo the LA design bit is......

Oh right, I didn't know Adobe had a trademark on the letter A. Thanks for pointing this out, I really could do without a court case on my hands right now!

I wouldn't say it's not that similar (see below). When it comes to copyright it's only really when it's an exact copy that you can get into a bit of trouble but I'd say you fine with what you have.

adobe_logo.jpg

I've seen people getting sued for using the same colour (T-mobile pink/purple in the US and engadget website iirc) so considering the only difference (ignoring weight of line) is basically that one extra slice which when viewed quickly or at a glance could be missed I thought it would be worth mentioning.

PS. you're technically agreeing with me with "I wouldn't say it's not that similar" which is a double negative and thus means you're agreeing with me :p

I assumed that was a typo considering the rest of the post :)

Sorry, but I fail to see how I'm going to make a capital A look completely different to a capital A used by someone else.

I'm well aware of protection law and this is actually a trade mark, denoted by the circled R, and not a copyright. You're right in saying that it's only usually an issue when it's an exact copy or an exact copy with minor changes made, i.e. the text changed to your company name.

There is definitely no issue here, I didn't even use their logo as inspiration. There's not really much else I can do with an L and an A and I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar designs elsewhere on the net.

you bugger, I'm terrible at typing at the moment, I think I'm loosing it :(

Ye completely agree with the colour thing, I've dealt with retail a lot and a company I've worked for were sued for using the same colour cap for a product as Sainsburys. I think it's generally that a company registers a specific spot colour as their own as well as font's sometimes. I know what you mean it could be seen as similar but it's not a direct copy so it's not really copyright infringement

no I'll tell you something, a good while ago when starting out, I produced a design and put it up here for critique, most people were generally ye it's alright etc, but Levi really slagged it off, he was pretty harsh but he picked up on every little detail that was wrong, and in the long run I could really put the skills and knowledge I have now down to the kick in the arse which I very much needed from Levi, his comments really helped me improve.

One thing you will learn very soon is that even if critique could seem really off the mark, it could also be the most helpful critique.

I can completely understand that, but from a community point of view, it is pretty daunting for new members who haven't yet decided whether they will remain a part of the community to have someone explode into their thread and list every possible reason why it doesn't work, in quite an aggressive manner (at times), without any positivity.

Levi, I have no doubt that you are a brilliant graphic designer, I think you just need to apply a little more tact to some of your posts. I believe that a critique, whilst pointing out as many bad points that you can think of (which is very helpful) should also at the very least acknowledge things that have been done well.

Considering that there are currently 4,537 members, let's halve that to account for inactive accounts, and yet it seems to me in the month that I've been here there are only a select few that are actually contributing on any kind of professional level. (There does seem to be an overwhelming number of "Hi, first post, give me a critique" posters)

That's not a very impressive conversion rate of new members to regular members is it. I'm not going to claim to know the reasons behind that analysis but I don't see how a more friendly culture/atmosphere could affect that number in a negative way.

oh no...... don't anger Levi..... oh god STAND CLEAR EVERYBODY!

No joking a side, methods of critique should really be taught to young designers from the start as critique comes in so many different forms, yes some people may find Levi's critique as harsh but in the real world it's still great critique. From my experience harsh critique tends to be the most useful. At the end of the day everyone has their own way of passing on their knowledge, each way being just as effective as others, but one rule that should always be clear is that you should never take criticism to heart, it's not a personal attack but actually it's suggestions on how to improve your work. Never take offense

Yeah that's fair enough, each to their own. I'm not really upset by it or anything to be honest, but I can imagine plenty of other people becoming a little disheartened.

I've got nothing against Levi at all, in fact I really appreciate the comments he's given me and I'm sure that he's helped a great deal of others to improve their work, however, I'm not sure I can agree with each and every possible way being just as effective as others!

Look, I gave my opinion, I was never rude or insulting, I don't critique the person I critique the work. If you can't take the criticism or someone pointing out something that is pretty obvious then I think you're in the wrong business. You don't have to do anything about it but if something does happen you can't say I didn't warn you..... plus I never say anything is rubbish (think of stronger term though), I just say 'personally I don't like it' and if you take my opinion that seriously you don't trust your own skills or deep down you knew it was right :)

Besides I say it as I see it, I'm even worse with my own work and if you think I'm being hard with your work then blimey you're too soft. I've redone a render due to it being 1pixel, yes 1 pixel out of alignment, the client wouldn't have noticed but I did.

I've redone work x amount of times because it's not what I wanted, wrong texture, wrong colour, you name it, maybe I'm being too picky but if I can see it from a quick view then it's far to obvious to not mention.

Hell I ask my clients to tell me straight if they don't like stuff, it's too much hassle to beat around the bush wasting time (and money) finishing something only to be told a few days from deadline they don't like it when they could have told me weeks earlier.

Ben, what design was that....

PS. Compared with Berry, I'm a softy and you can all get your own back when I put mine up for critique, not saying I'll take any notice mind :p

Couldn't you extend the left diagonal (from bottom left corner to top right) so that it extend outside the triangle, then might be more obvious that it's not just the A?

I think I understand what you're saying, you want the right edge of the lower part of the L to show so that it makes it more obvious it's the logo on the other side?

I tried it and it makes it look crowded and squashed, it's OK I'm happy with this design :)

Back