Logo Advice - Getting Work?

boundsey

I want to make logos for people to increase my portfolio, to get a place at uni in around 2 years.
I don't mind working for free, but was wondering,
How do I find client/get work?

Hi Boundsey, How old are you and what level of education have you achieved? I only ask, as you'll find that portfolio alone wont get you into uni, you need to have accrued enough UCAS points to be accepted onto a degree course.

Anyway... back on topic,...

The easiest way to build a portfolio is to work on self initiated projects. Find a company that you admire/that interests you and re-brand it. Treat it as you would a live project and research the far end of the far. Produce 100s of scamps etc.. Avoid the really big names such as Apple, Ferrari etc.. as you'll struggle to break away from their identities with any level of success.

An alternative is to contact local businesses and ask if they would be happy for you to meet them and refresh/redesign their branding. With no obligation to them of course.

Thanks for the advice :)
I'm 17, taking a 1 year pre-degree course in Art and Design next year, which is the necessary qualification for courses I am looking for. So I am fine on that front.

In which case I wouldn't worry too much about producing stacks of freelance work. A spattering of personal projects to show you're capable outside of the classroom will go a long way but hopefully your course should help you collect enough work to show any university that you're a creative thinker.

One of my uni lecturers used to tell us that a portfolio with 5 outstanding projects is better than a portfolio with 50 average projects. It's true!!

Bigdave's advice is sound, but to add to it you could try looking on peopleperhour.com which is a freelancer's website. The difficulty you'll have there is that no portfolio makes it difficult to find clients who'll work with you but it's worth a shot, especially if you offer your services for free.

Hi Boundsey,

Welcome to the forum. I'll reiterate all the advice given here, get some self-initiated work under your belt and, if possible, commercial opportunities (these are usually more valuable as it demonstrates the ability to work with a client and to a brief that you haven't set yourself)

I'd also advise you really, really get stuck into design as a whole. Although I know you'll be taught plenty through your studies, get reading plenty of design theory, case studies and blogs. Better yet, start recording your own opinions in a blog; these could be articles on newly launched rebrands, new initiatives or even changes to the infrastructure of design education etc etc. If it's something you can carry all the way through your studies you'll come out the other side with much more rounded views, industry knowledge and even some potentially useful contacts as a result of your efforts.

Another gem I'd offer is remember to just keep honing your basic skillsets. Can you convey an idea effectively in a 1 minute sketch? Do you draw something everyday, even if it's just a doodle? Are you comfortable talking about your work? Can you make connections between a brief and an idea?

Other than that, best of luck to you and enjoy yourself!

Back