Local Barber Shop

tbwcf

I've mocked this up for a friend...

The designer did a nice job on the logo (the version I've used is just scanned) which helps to get the site looking nice...

His designer does print and just put a quick site up for him so I said I'd liven it up a bit...

I'm going to build it (is slap dash code wise at the moment) properly at the weekend so it would be good to get some thoughts on it first...

Welcome to the Local Barber Shop - Wokingham, 07766 238293

Thanks!

Looking okay, I'm not overly keen on the nav though.
The type could be livened up a tad by using some proper glyphs.
Also, you need some background colours as well as the images. If you have Web Dev toolbar installed look at the site without images :)

Thanks Harry! - I'll make sure I remember to add those background colours in the CSS at the weekend...

What is it about the nav that's not doing it for you? (I was intending to play with the font on the nav...)

Also now you mention it I might replace some of the headers with bg images (the css text indent:minus way so I've still got the text...)

P.S nice little page there... I'm forever googling to try and remember various html symbols for £ signs and the like

tbwcf said:
What is it about the nav that's not doing it for you? (I was intending to play with the font on the nav...)

It is just the font I don't like so experimenting will be good.

tbwcf said:
Also now you mention it I might replace some of the headers with bg images (the css text indent:minus way so I've still got the text...)

And don't use that, use the Gilder/Levin method: mezzoblue Testing Grounds :)

Nice one! thanks very much, I had a feeling you might have another suggestion for that!

Much appreciated!

Thanks mrp2049 I agree on the vibe, think it works well - owe the thanks to the guy that did the logo really as that's made my job nice and easy in carrying a good design through...

Hey Harry,

Just wondering why your preference is for Gilder/Levin mthod of ir?
I have been using the Phark ( method for quite some while and find it just a capable and without the need for the additional empty span ticks my box :)

Harry said:
Looking okay, I'm not overly keen on the nav though.
The type could be livened up a tad by using some proper glyphs.
Also, you need some background colours as well as the images. If you have Web Dev toolbar installed look at the site without images :)
Bookmarked, handy resource that cheers Harry.

Xenonsoft said:
Bookmarked, handy resource that cheers Harry.

Cool, I'm writing a wiki at work which explains them more fully, but can't really release that which is a shame :(

Hi All,

I've the the site pretty much there (will be developed further at a later stage but for now is just using the exisiting content from the old site)

My problem now is being on a power pc Mac (no windows) and trying to test in ie6/7/8

I've just browser shots to get some screen shots and the only problem I could tell was the logo appearing behind the stripe - think I've sorted it with the z-index property but using browser shots is slow and painfull, if anyone could it help by checking for me it would be appreciated?

Welcome to the Local Barber Shop Wokingham. Wokinghams best value Barber Shop!

also any other comments on the code/SEO would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hay fella a few things I noticed:

Create a .htaccess file and place this code in it~
PHP:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^GET\ .*/index\.php\ HTTP
RewriteRule ^(.*)index\.php$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^http://www\.thelocalbarbershop\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.thelocalbarbershop.com/$1 [R=301,L]
Next upload it to your root directory.
Now if you type in the address bar ~
thelocalbarbershop.com/index.html

It will all redirect to the same url (www.thelocalbarbershop.com/).

I would change your opening html tag to ~
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" dir="ltr">

Tells user agents the language of the page, English (en) and the direction of the text in this case it is to be read from left to right (ltr).

Your title on the home page I would personally change to ~
<title>The Local Barber Shop in Wokingham</title>

That way the search engines accredit the keyword denisty to 100% and that is probably the most important thing for the title, that and getting it to sound right, but I wouldn't water it down by pointless words such as best and value as they wont be searched for tbh.

Also I would consider changing the copy to hit keyword variations and to help rank the page better.
You currently have this ~

Wokingham's Local Barber Shop offers the best value, quality gents haircuts anywhere in the area.
The shop is the brainchild of Kieran O'Connor and Simon Busby
— two fully trained, well known local barbers with over 10 years experience.
Located in the newly developed retail units at Montague House on Broad Street, Wokingham, they offer quality haircuts with a traditional, no nonsense approach in a friendly atmosphere.
With easy access to the shop from Waitrose carpark or Broad Street and with no appointment necessary, it couldn't be more convenient to drop in for a great value, quality haircut six days a week.

I would change it to ~

Wokingham's Local Barber Shop offers the best value, quality gents haircuts anywhere in the Wokingham area.
Our barber shop is the brainchild of Kieran O'Connor and Simon Busby, who are
two fully trained, well known local barbers with over 10 years experience in mens hairdressing.
The Local Barber Shop is located in the newly developed retail units at Montague House on Broad Street, Wokingham, they offer quality mens haircuts with a traditional, no nonsense approach in a friendly atmosphere.
With easy access to the shop from Waitrose carpark or Broad Street and with no appointment necessary, it couldn't be more convenient to drop in for a great value, quality (??)mens(??) haircut, we are even open six days a week from Monday through to Saturday.

Then change the a member of above the federation sign to ~
The Local Barber Shop is a member of ~

Don't get me wrong I'm not correcting your copy for mistakes I'm making it more benfitial to the search engines, I've been doing loads of SEO work recently so SEO copywritting has become my speciality and it is well easier, and quicker esp. for local bussiness, than building links. So....

I may change some of it, and re-read it to make sure it makes sense I just added the right words and tried to make the sentances make sense afterwards TBH, but you get the idea I hope. :)

Personally I would move the opening times to below the image that way you are getting rid of a pointless page, spreading equity better and allowing the user to see the information that they are probably looking for faster as well TBH.

I may add the phone number above the fold as well, but yeah I like it overall buddy. :)

Hope it helps.
Jaz

Key~
PHP code ~ Mod_Rewrite
Purple ~ XHTML
Green ~ SEO copywriting

Thanks Jazz, thats really helpfull! - I'll get onto it! I'm trying to be more search engine focused with my page titles etc, the copy was just nicked off their previous site but your changes make perfect sense!

I'll proberly leave the opening times page for the time being mainly to avoid design changes but I'll keep that in mind for the future if they decide to add a news or offers page or something along those lines!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out its really appreciated!

It's alright fella you've helped me out loads in the past.
Glad I could return the favour. :)

Jaz

Back