Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living expenses

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Mosskat, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mosskat

Mosskat Member

Hey all!
    I am planning in a few month to *gasp* take that plunge and move out on my own. Now I'm only familiar with prices from my homeland (jamaica) and never really taken into consideration prices here.

I will be living on the bone of my ass of course (pardon my language)
    So some questions for you lovely folks out there.

1) What would the average monthly bills be? (I live in the Hertfordshire, Tring area)

Tell me if I'm way off
    Monthly grocery bill - 100£
    Net - 15£
    Electricity - 30£
    Water - 20£

(Rent has already been considered thanks - I want to think of other expenses)

2) Unexpected expenses from your experience that crop up each month
    3) What it was like living on your own (or with a flatmate)
  2. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Hi Mosskat one thing you haven't got on there is council tax, but this may be taken into consideration in rent if its a house/flat share, my council tax for a 1 bed flat is about £130 a month (over 10 months), the flats electricity only (no gas) and the bills about 200 - 250 a quarter for winter and less for summer months prob more like 150 per quarter. Other things to consider would be contents insurance / tv license. Water and net sound about right.

When you add it all up its pretty daunting but becomes much easier as you get used to it!
  3. also a deposit is always fun to try to find (Mine was about £2000 i think LOL)
  4. berry

berry Active Member

Telephone land line
    Mobile phone contract
    Insurance/ personal and business
    TV licence
    Road Tax./car/ travel/taxis
    Copier /Toner inks
    paper and supplies
  5. Mosskat

Mosskat Member

Hi tbwcf! Thanks for your insight. Yes I hear about council tax quite a bit and I'm hoping the cost will be included in the rent. I'm looking for a small room at the moment so I'm not sure how that's calculated.

So prices for gas and electricity are quarterly? I guess that makes sense :)
  6. tim

tim Senior Member

Instead of a small room, camp in a tent outside starbucks and steal their wifi. sorted.
  7. berry

berry Active Member

Didn't know they had lawns outside Starbucks;)
  8. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

No worries Mosskat,

If your just going for a room (so houseshare) then it would normally be included ing the rent I believe and bills would generally be split with whoever your living with. Also if your living in a flat alone you get a council tax reduction, think you pay 75% of the normal rate.

Berry makes a good point with landline if your area doesn't have cable (which my flat didn't as its pretty new and wasn't "plumbed in") you might have to do like me and take out a bt line you don't want just to get broadband....

Gas / electric / water can be paid on monthly direct debit of an estimated useage but for ours we have someone come round every 3 months and read the meter so we know we're paying right. water we pay monthly about £25 but think that might be more than we should be paying so in theory our acc could be in credit.

www.[B]moneysavingexpert[/B].com/ can be pretty good for comparing deals
  9. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Tim in a few years time?
  10. berry

berry Active Member

nice one:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  11. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

You mean that isnt Tim now?!?!?

Was just about to say the likes of phone bills, internet tv etc when I saw Berry's post!

I was looking at all of this the other day as Im going to be moving out in just over a year (way in advance i know but im gunna save now to make it easier for myself!)

Anyway, a few other factors you dont seem to have thought however may not be considered as living expenses rather than needs which you already know about.

The cost of clothes
    Is your apartment/room fitted with furniture
    Line rental?

Ide add in an extra something a month for your "stupid spends" haha. Come on - we all ahve one, and isnt it about time we budgeted for them too?
  12. tim

tim Senior Member

Support is brilliant.

You're 17 ya know, you don't have as much experience as you think you do...
  13. Harry

Harry Senior Member

My advice, don't! Don't save for moving out unless you're saving for a one off payment (like a deposit). My grandad offered me nearly a grand when I moved out from my mum and dads but I declined because that money won't always be there (as your savings won't be) so you need to be able to budget without it.
  14. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

Who said I thought I had lots of i experience? I was reffering to what I would do when I said "Ide add in..."

Fair point Harry, I was just thinking for my deposit on a flat as I really dont want the time to come when Im moving out but dont have the savings for a deposit.

How did you find the transfer from homelife to a fulltime working life in such a shortspace of time Harry?
  15. Harry

Harry Senior Member

One day I lived with my mum and dad, the next I was in the City fending for myself. It was literally as abrupt as that. The only experience of 'looking after' myself before that was a week alone when I was 17 and the fam went on holiday.
  16. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

I wonder if that week alone went anything like my week alone a few months back....for yours and your parents sake I hope not!

Will be interesting to here from you mosskat when yu do eventually take the plunge...let us know how it goes or plans out.
  17. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Nah I've always been really sensible. Got absolutely wasted with a few mates and it ended up with one of 'em naked with my mum's antique clock over his knackers. But other than that I looked after the place. Sensibility will get you further than it's given credit for.