Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living and working in Australia?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by bigdave, Mar 8, 2014.

1. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

The wife and I have had a pipe dream of living Melbourne Australia for 6 or 7 years now. About 4 years ago we went to the point of looking into visas but the epic lump sum needed to move put us off. After chatting to friends who live out there, they've started emailing links to jobs over there and its got the juices flowing again! Especially when the starting salary for a front end developer is $70-85k (£38-47k).

Anyone else looked at moving down under? What stopped you doing it?

2. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

hey not to put a downer on it but make sure you factor in that the cost of living is quiet high in OZ higher than here so wages don't go as far (food in particular).

I wanted to move there, I love it, def Sydney for me but it is just too far away from my family :) maybe if I could take them too. But I know plenty of people that have moved and they seen to really enjoy it :) good luck

3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I know a few people who now live in Oz and I doubt they'll ever be coming back. I also know a couple who managed to get a short term working visa and they just travelled around Australia for a few months, working on farms and places like that on a temporary basis, in exchange for food and a bed for a few nights. They came back, but only because they couldn't legally stay any longer. It's never really appealed to me, but I can see why it would to some people.

4. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I know the cost of living is higher (rent is a little bit bonkers in some areas) but with higher salaries and seemingly loads of work available (one website I've been looking at currently lists almost 1000 web/new media roles in the Victoria territory alone) it seems like a fair trade off. It's not really just about the money, it's more the lifestyle that appeals.

**EDIT**
    I have to quote this from an advert for an agency seeking a PHP developer in Melbourne...
    Why would anyone not want to work there!!! lol

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. matobo

matobo Member

My brother moved to Perth just over a year ago and he loves it there, wished that he had done it years ago (he is an Autocad drafting services manager for building serivces and has his own company). He does make me laugh though - for basic necessities like a new watch or a new computer back up drive... he orders via the internet, gets it sent to our address for us to ship it on. Apparently things are very expensive there and that is the cheapest option.

The weather might be good, but not jumping on the next plane though...

6. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Funny enough I'm heading to Australia at the end of the month for 1 month for 2 family weddings :)

My sister moved out there years ago and loves it. Wouldn't dream of coming back.

I was tempted by it myself, but I never really looked into it.

If not, why not?

7. webhostus

webhostus New Member

Australia is great place to live and work.