LittleSnapper & Screen Grabs

Kevin

Throughout my web career *cough* I have collected quite an impressive amount, something around 120, of inspiring designs and they're all stored in my bookmark toolbar. So recently I came across LittleSnapper which seems like a great tool to turn all those designs into JPEGs to easily view them in my finder. Unfortunately it's only for Mac Leopard and I'm still stuck with Tiger :(

Does anybody know if there is a Tiger-compatible alternative to this?

EDIT: it's 170 designs and counting :)

I don't know LittleSnapper but a big favorite of mine is ScrnShots. Details below:

Scrn Shots is a neat, free application that lets you take a snapshot of any site that you want to keep and upload its details onto your own profile page. From here you can also search other people’s links and add to your favorites. I have found it extremely useful using it almost daily for both short-term bookmarking of things I want view in-depth at a later stage and also as an inspiration store of good sites.

The Desktop Uploader is well easy to use (but I think it's only available for OS X 10.5). If you want to see what it’s all about you can check out my page here: ScrnShots: ruscal's Screenshots

wow, that's a brilliant idea. Screenshots annoy me with mac tho... they don't copy to clipboard so you always have to open freaking photoshop!

Well if you get the desk top up loader from the site it just sits in your top bar and uploads the screen directly to the site without you having to snap, save and upload manually.

RussellHall said:
I don't know LittleSnapper but a big favorite of mine is ScrnShots. Details below:

Scrn Shots is a neat, free application that lets you take a snapshot of any site that you want to keep and upload its details onto your own profile page. From here you can also search other people’s links and add to your favorites. I have found it extremely useful using it almost daily for both short-term bookmarking of things I want view in-depth at a later stage and also as an inspiration store of good sites.

The Desktop Uploader is well easy to use (but I think it's only available for OS X 10.5). If you want to see what it’s all about you can check out my page here: ScrnShots: ruscal's Screenshots
That's one step closer to what I'm looking for. What LittleSnapper does is it snaps the site without your browser window and automatically saves the entire layout as one JPEG file. I'm under the impression that ScrnShots is an actual snap-and-share application (or am I mistaking?) but this tool is nonetheless very convenient until I get Leopard installed :up:
I'll definitely register tomorrow, thanks a lot!

tim-ater said:
wow, that's a brilliant idea. Screenshots annoy me with mac tho... they don't copy to clipboard so you always have to open freaking photoshop!
Cmd + Shift + 3 = screenshot saved to desktop (or folder)
Cmd + Shift + 4 = screenshot from selection saved to desktop (or folder)

Holding the Ctrl button with those combinations will copy it to your clipboard and not save it to your desktop (or folder).

That's one step closer to what I'm looking for. What LittleSnapper does is it snaps the site without your browser window and automatically saves the entire layout as one JPEG file. I'm under the impression that ScrnShots is an actual snap-and-share application (or am I mistaking)

Yep it is a snap and share app so if you prefer a collection of JPEGs just for visual reference may not be what your after but as I say useful for de-clogging your bookmarks bar and is easy to use

Not quite what you're after, but have you guys heard of GrabUp? GrabUp - Home

I know the guy that started this app, and from what I've heard its very useful (for Mac users), it allows you to take a screen grab, and then it automatically uploads the image to the GrabUp site and copies the URL to that image onto your clipboard! With the pro version you can set it up so it uploads to your hosting space rather than the free hosting on the GrabUp site. Very useful for quick screen grabs when in IM conversations, etc, as you can just screen grab and then paste the URL.

Just thought I would mention incase it's of any use to you guys :)
Greg

Greg said:
Oh, and just found a couple more links whilst searching on this, they look pretty good from the reviews;
SCRAPBOOK :: Firefox Extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1146?application=firefox&id=1146

& this site that allows you to store them all in your own profile and search other profiles and screen shots for inspiration - ScrnShots: Share your inspiration
That second link is like exactly what I was looking for. Cheers! :cheers:
I'll download it and let you guys know how it goes

ScreenGrab!

This tool is great! What it does is it allows you to copy the entire website so you don't have to snap the top, scroll to the bottom, snap the bottom and paste them together to get a full snapshot. That's the main feature I was looking for (as in LittleSnapper) and is basically all you need to build up your own base of web inspiration. Snapshots are in JPEG or PNG format.

Using the little tool is easy. Like a lot of other add-ons, it inserts a small icon in your status bar. Clicking the icon gives you a typical menu (image) with some options. The titles are self-explanatory, copy saves it to your clipboard. Clicking one of the actions brings up a save-window where you can choose your folder and rename your file (standard filename is the page title).

All though it's not very convenient to process a big list of websites (lots of clicking), it's great to just take a quick snapshot to add to your inspiration folder. If you want to use this tool to it's full capacity you should save the files to a Dropbox so you can access the snapshots from another computer. A minor detail is that you have no way of saving the link, allthough from the filename (page title) and from the snapshot itself you can easily find back the site you snapped.

For those who are interested in the result: http://i43.tinypic.com/2lbjfbd.png
(some of the images are from deviantART which I didn't snap, just saved the image)

EDIT: thank you, Greg
:cheers:

Yes it's in the preferences window ;)
And you can choose if your files get timestamped (I'm assuming in the file name)

Back