Good evening all.

Im after some advice on the best way to produce some effects like this
2040d1296149229-lighting-glow-1200002-jpg

I hope image is attached?

Is this photoshop, after effects?

Plugin?

or done by hand..

I would not know where to start?

well first you would need to make the image viewable without us needing to login to another forum

It could be done multiple ways. Personally I think it looks like a photoshop job, using brushes to create those swirls in white, then additional effects, opacity and layers added to create the glow.

davewill said:
It could be done multiple ways. Personally I think it looks like a photoshop job, using brushes to create those swirls in white, then additional effects, opacity and layers added to create the glow.

My thoughts exactly.

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all teh help sp far

Hi richyrich, I was after exactly the same thing last year, and I discovered this article, gives you some great tips on how to create such light effects, and it's really simple! Basically you make a light spot and then use the Filter>Distort>Wave(or Twirl) and you get some amazing results.
Thank you for this.. This is very helpfull and a good place for me to start.. Got some nice effects from this so far.

This point seems very interesting.. Could you elaborate more?

to replicate the image, theposterprinters comment would be a good start, then try using the smudge tool to add some more definition. For what you want use a white brush, draw a small white line, then either smudge it with a calligraphy brush or try using the tutorial mentioned to start. Once done duplicate the layer twice. Go into properties of the layers and give one a colour overlay of red and the other yellow. Raster these layers so they have no effects attached just changed to the colour you previously overlaid. You should now have 3 layers, white, red and yellow, put them in order being red bottom layer, then yellow, then white on top. Now you can experiment with the overlay modes. Change the overlay mode for the white layer and the yellow layer to something like colour burn, or try a few others for similar effects. You should now have something similar, or nothing like it knowing my luck :(

richyrich38 said:
Hi everyone.

Thank you for all teh help sp far

Thank you for this.. This is very helpfull and a good place for me to start.. Got some nice effects from this so far.

Its very difficult to explain in detail without guiding you through a step by step tutorial. The link posted above looks good so I would recommend reading that. Ben's comments are also helpful although it is very difficult to follow written instructions as we have no idea of your photoshop skills and how familiar you are with the lingo.

Just experiment in photoshop, draw some shapes with a long thin brush and then practice playing with outer glows, opacity, layer filters and try adding layers upon layers and you wont go far wrong.

richyrich38 said:
photoshop usually has more than one way to produce any effects etc.

It's just whichever is quickest/easiest for the person in question.

Back