Letterpress

Music To The Eyes

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can get business cards printed using letterpress? I've seen some examples on the net and they look gorgeous. I've only managed to find very small old websites that do it.

Amazing entries for the book cover comp by the way - I'll try and squeeze one in myself over the weekend.

Cheers :)

I will talk to a printer mate of mine and see if he is still using letterpress.. he might be able to help you out :)

(oh and definitely squeze out a design for the comp :) its well worth it :D)

Thanks Chris, that would be great. I can't believe how hard it is to find somewhere that does it! There seem to be fair few in the US, but none here.

Is it likely to be very expensive do you know?

Thanks guys.

Hand & Eye don't seem to do stationery, you can only buy books and posters that they've already printed.

Piccolo Press looks like the best bet. Website looks a bit old fashioned though - can you let me know how your wedding invites turn out endofgeneric?

Yeah the site just about put me off using them, super-hard to navigate too.

I'll definitely let you know how the invites turn out :)

Love your work Helen, some really nice stuff, keep up the good work.

I hope Alice doesn't mind me posting these, but here are the prices she gave me:

50 cards for £75
100 for £95
every fifty thereafter £25 extra

Second colour £45 for first fifty
£65 for 100, and £20 for every fifty thereafter.

Using our type and designs, 220 gsm card, 8.5 x 5.5 cm. Outside designs will be more.

Does anyone know how these stack up compared to other companies?

Hi Helen,

It looks like Alice/Letterpress Printed Cards found this thread via a link on BritishLetterpress.co.uk, (they have a Google Blog Search on their site that must have been what picked it up). Not sure if there is a suppliers list/directory on that site where you could find some companies to contact for quotes?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg said:
Hi Helen,

It looks like Alice/Letterpress Printed Cards found this thread via a link on BritishLetterpress.co.uk, (they have a Google Blog Search on their site that must have been what picked it up). Not sure if there is a suppliers list/directory on that site where you could find some companies to contact for quotes?

Thanks,
Greg

Yes I did come across this thread via BritishLetterpress (a friend of ours created that site)
We've talked about setting up a sort of Guild and directory of british letterpress printers, it'll probably happen later in the year - when the websites up and running I'll post a link here.

Last year we set up Letterpress Printed Cards.com, primarily it was meant to be a website that sold our folded cards and bits of printed ephemera, and by word of mouth, business has grown and we've continued to get lots of commissions.

I run the website and work between printers who I've worked with for quite a while, as well as working as a freelance illustrator/designer.
All of us are private presses who make fine press books, and do some jobbing work - producing letterpress business cards, stationary and such like. So the quality is of 'Fine Press' standard, and although we may not be as cheap as some other printer's speculate, we keep our costs/quotes as low as possible, and we do, do a very nice job.

And our prices will change and lower over the coming months, as the workshop who I work most closely with has just taken delivery of a Heidelberg cylinder press.. (like this one... YouTube - Heidelberg KS Cylinder 2.)
So we can turn jobs round a lot faster, in bigger volume, and still of the same high standard of work as we do now with hand-fed treddle presses.

These guys in the states (Minneapolis) do some great work
Studio On Fire

Ta
Alice

Sorry to come to this thread late in the day, but may I suggest Glasgow Press (glasgowpress.co.uk) - have produced some fine letterpress work for me in the past from pdfs made into photopolymer plates

regards,

Ed

Hi just found this forum doing some research for my companies website. We are a Glasgow / Wishaw based printing company that also do letterpress, seems there is a fair few letterpress printers still about in the UK. Our Wishaw branch is full of 'old school' professional printers (oh boy do they know typography) and equipment and I am sure they would be able to tell you much more about what they have available than I ever could. After all I am just the web monkey :)

Anyway here is the website Wishaw Printing Company - Print Services - Letterpress Printing. Not old fashioned and very yellow!

Hope this helps.

I know this is an old thread - but for anybody looking for letterpress cards Blushpublishing.co.uk do some excellent work.

Back