Letterpress Business Cards - revival

Hi All

Just wondering what you think of this type of business card?

They are 540gsm extra thick letterpress foil / debossed / uncoated textured card.

Attachments

• thumb.php.jpg
    thumb.php.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 152
.mmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't think that a real job.
I can't see that white print sitting on an an emboss without some form of distortion. Looks too Photoshopped to me.

Berry the white text appears to have a depression around it so it's possible that the text is also embossed....

These types of cards are really nice but they are very expensive as you can probably imagine. If you get a quote on something like this let us know how much.

I think it is nice and ideal if the brief fits and the client has the budget. I personally love letterpress (which this is, incase of any speculation) and would love the opportunity to work with it.... It will always be an option for my own personal cards.

Some good comments here - how about showing your own cards on this thread?

Here's my current card, although as ever I'm in the middle of re-doing it.

This is extra thick (540gsm) black Colorplan - debossed clear foil logo - white foil type.

Attachments

• DSCN4223.jpg
    DSCN4223.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 105
I got a quote for a client a few weeks ago, 250 cards double sided single colour 410gsm £195 + VAT

An associate of mine has just ordered some, letterpress cards at a cost of almost £1500 for 500 cards! I can't remember the exact spec of the card but I think there around the 600gsm mark & edge painted.

Where did you get your quote for your client from Dave? Need to do some myself shortly so looking for suppliers.

That price was from Typoretum. There's also company called Blush Publishing who are renowned as one of the best letterpress companies around but my experience of their service is not great. Unless you're spending thousands they're not particularly interested in custom work.

bigdave said:
An associate of mine has just ordered some, letterpress cards at a cost of almost £1500 for 500 cards! I can't remember the exact spec of the card but I think there around the 600gsm mark & edge painted.

Hi

It would be very interesting to see the spec. of the £1500 cards - or better still a photo of the finished cards if poss.

I'd come out of retirement to do some myself at that price :)

Is there a chance of a photo ?

- David

davidw said:
Hi

It would be very interesting to see the spec. of the £1500 cards - or better still a photo of the finished cards if poss.

- David

That does sound pretty expensive. That is £3 per card! I remember a few years ago a company I worked at had really nice cards which worked out about £1.20 each which consisted of 2 x coloured foils on one side, 1 x foil on the other. 600gsm from what I remember. This price was the cost of reordering additional cards so not sure what it would be for 500 regarding the setup of the die etc.

davidw said:
Some good comments here - how about showing your own cards on this thread?

Here's my current card, although as ever I'm in the middle of re-doing it.

This is extra thick (540gsm) black Colorplan - debossed clear foil logo - white foil type.

if you want to show off your cards you can always submit them to my site www.lovebusinesscards.com

richimgd said:
That does sound pretty expensive. That is £3 per card! I remember a few years ago a company I worked at had really nice cards which worked out about £1.20 each which consisted of 2 x coloured foils on one side, 1 x foil on the other. 600gsm from what I remember. This price was the cost of reordering additional cards so not sure what it would be for 500 regarding the setup of the die etc.

Hello Richard

As you know, the main thing that affects price for these cards is how many passes needed through the machine.

Yes £3 per card seems excessive but if it's like a card I saw recently with 3 pantones each side + foil + thermo + blind debossed, it starts to make a bit of sense. Does price matter if a card blows everybody away ? Still more relevant and cheaper than trying to impress prospective clients with a car or dinner...

- David

davidw said:
Hello Richard

As you know, the main thing that affects price for these cards is how many passes needed through the machine.

Yes £3 per card seems excessive but if it's like a card I saw recently with 3 pantones each side + foil + thermo + blind debossed, it starts to make a bit of sense. Does price matter if a card blows everybody away ? Still more relevant and cheaper than trying to impress prospective clients with a car or dinner...

- David

Of course your right. I guess its drawing the line somewhere - Like I say the cards I saw which were nearly 1/3rd of the price above were probably the nicest cards I'd seen at the time. There comes a point where extra processes increase expense but don't enhance the design. £3 per card is worth it though if the design is right.

Here's a business card I did last week.

Letterpress foil on extra thick (540gsm) black Colorplan - designed by client.

Debossed gloss clear foil - satin silver foil - satin gold foil. He couldn't decide which he preferred so
he had 50 of each.

Attachments

• DSCN4255.jpg
    DSCN4255.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 64
davidw said:
Hi

- David

Sorry for the delay in posting this, he only received them a couple of days ago. The pic doesn't show the painted white edge very well.

Picture1-22.png

New cards this week. Debossed clear foil / White foil. Extra thick (540gsm) black Colorplan.

At the moment I'm quite happy with these.

Attachments

• DSCN4264.jpg
    DSCN4264.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 51
bigdave said:
Sorry for the delay in posting this, he only received them a couple of days ago. The pic doesn't show the painted white edge very well.

Thanks for posting this Dave, I'm still intrigued by the price of these - from what I can tell from the pic., apart from the painted edges I can't see more than £300 in producing this job - in fact maybe a bit less.

For my taste painted edges are a bit too Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen - but I suppose they might be appropriate for certain customers.

Back