Letterpress Business Cards - revival

BillB said:
I saw a 700gsm card - I can't decide weather this is too thick or not - it looked good though.

Just a matter of opinion I suppose.

I guess 1 or 2 out of 10 orders I produce are 700gsm - makes people take notice tho' :)

- David

This is one of my recent favourites.

540gsm Colorplan Bright Red card with de-embossed gloss foil logo and white foil text.

Designed by Gary Hartley.

Attachments

• reddebossed.jpg
    reddebossed.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 37
I can't imagine that "The Floating Frog" inspired a great deal of professionalism in their clients. Imagine telling someone who produced your last business cards..

"Yeah, uhm, it's a company called The Floating Frog.."

Nice cards though. :)

Elegant and classy design by Terenzio.

Debossed clear foil plus white foil.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 35
Out of interest, when your printing how do you know which section to emboss? Is it like green screening or more complicated?

Letterpress black and white foil - plus embossed business card

Printed on GF Smith 540gsm Colorplan Bright Red

Embossed behind arrow

Designed by: Growler Design

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 34
br3n said:
Out of interest, when your printing how do you know which section to emboss? Is it like green screening or more complicated?
Colour all the emboss areas in a specific colour and then tell the printer that colour represents the emboss. It is really that simple as the printer should then set everything up so it is exactly as the design.

Hi

I agree with you the texture of the paper/card and the embossed/debossed print make it something special. I think print layout and design is a very good foundation for design in general. I think there's more at stake materials wise so you need to be disciplined as well as creative. I love books. I can't use a Kindle, I tried. There's the argument about the earth's resources and book production. I understand, but there's a lot of materials required to prodce millions of Kindles too. There is somehing human about a book. It has more connection if it is designed well. Anyway I like your logo and good luck with what yiu are doing.

Ian

photo.JPG

Examples :- embossed - debossed and "de-embossed"

davidw said:
This is one of my recent favourites.

540gsm Colorplan Bright Red card with de-embossed gloss foil logo and white foil text.

Designed by Gary Hartley.

does it cost extra for embossed with the shiny spot uv on as well ?

Thanks for the example of the three cards davidw! I always get confused between debossed and de-embossed, so I’m glad you clarified it. That aside I love business cards with any kind of texture to them. It makes them seem more unique and they stand out more than the typical ones.

Blind debossed business card with white foil details on the reverse.

Produced on GF Smith Colorplan Dark Grey 540gsm.

Blind debossing (no foil or ink) is my favourite technique and the thick Colorplan card allows a really deep impression for smallish logos - without showing on the back of the card. This technique can make for a very special and unique business card - especially if coupled with a stunning metallic foil like for instance one I'm doing at the moment with a new bright metallic pink foil.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 20
While embossed cards look great, they are costly- Do you think its worth it over a business card thats still has a high gsm?

printed_com said:
While embossed cards look great, they are costly- Do you think its worth it over a business card thats still has a high gsm?

Hi

I think you probably know the answer already...

The thicker the better - but the extra thick digital cards still look cheap - no character.

Letterpress/foil cards are the ultimate - so if the design is suitable and someone wants to make a 'deep impression' it has to be worth it.

I think it's a bit like saying "is a BMW 'worth' the extra from a Fiesta"

Best wishes - David

Back