Legal question...

soho100

If our designer uses a freeware copy of a well known font which has been recreated and named differently, can the copyright owner of the original font sue us for using the copy in commercial artwork?
If the owner of the copy stated for 'Non-Commercial use only' and it was used in a commercial project, what is worst case scenario?

I'm not naming the fonts for legal reasons...and yes the designer is an idiot for doing so.

Thanks

If its non commercial and you get found out, designer is within his/her rights to take you to court over it.

Rule of thumb should be, if you use a font, change it until it isn't the font anymore or buy it.

The font designer wrote to us and has no claim whatsoever, the font foundry thinks its their font, but they are mistaken it for a renamed copy. So my question remains...

If our designer uses a freeware copy of a well known font which has been recreated and named differently, can the copyright owner of the original font sue us for using the copy in commercial artwork?

My thoughts would be send the foundry in the way of the Freeware 'reseller' he may be passing off their font as his own work in which case he is the guy they should be hitting with any legal issues.

Good answer, Goathead. Personally I'd tell your designer to avoid using free fonts that rip-off well known, obviously recognisable fonts that usually cost money, for highly visible commercial projects in future. Tut, tut. Hope you've got time to change the font if the proverbial really does hit the fanblades of legal retribution!

Back