Learning to code

Evening all,

If i am thinking about learning to code and get into web design what do you recommend i start with?

I am looking to start with CSS & HTML, i have also been advised to add some JavaScript in as well.

Any advice to point me in the right direction truly appreciated.

rosssmith

Here are a tip that every beginner should know in order to learn the basic of coding, I've seen "w3 Schools", It has a proper intro to HTML and CSS to learn code that’s designed in a super cool format.

nayan

I dont know if its gonna work for everyone or not,but honestly after all these years i have learnt that you cant really keep something memorized for a lot of time,
So instead of separately working & learning html then css then javascript just try to create a web site their are many courses available only just try to replicate one thing and then I am sure you are gonna learn something from it,and then just try to create change or tweek little things in that website.
And after doing all these things just start creating your own website,and if your stuck just google it I am sure their will be answer available in sites like this and like stackoverflow.Just google the exact problem that you are stuck on like "line 56 in contains wrong syntax" I am sure someone before you got stuck their and will have gotten answers.

So instead of asking broad questions like how to learn web design just start doing it.

Also sorry for spelling mistake if their are any.

fisicx

Website design isn’t about code. It’s more about content, imagery, layout, colours, typography, information flows, placement, organisation, calls to action, trust marks and a zillion other things.

The days of building websites by hand have almost gone. There are umpteen different platforms you can use to build a website with thousands of themes, extensions, plugins and scripts you can use to deliver functionality.

If you want to learn how to code as a hobby that’s great, but if you want to make any money you need to learn how to build websites using existing tools.

fisicx

It really depends on exactly what you want to do.

For example, if you want to build sites using Wordpress you only need to practice setting up themes and plugins.

If you want to build sites from scratch then brackets for a Mac or visual studio for a PC is all you need.

There are tons of learning resources, some free some paid that you can use to get to grips with the basics.

As suggested above, get some cheap hosting and play. If you manage nothing more than a single page saying ‘hallo world’ you will have achieved something.

I started out with an HTML for dummies book and build my first site using a very old version of dreamweaver. I then brought a book on CSS and discovered how to structure a webpage. After this came Wordpress and I’ve never looked back. I don’t build websites anymore, I just build themes and plugins. These are a lot more lucrative and a lot less stressful than building websites - mainly because I don't have to deal with clients (who invariably don't have a clue what they want).

As an aside, this is about as simple as it gets:

Code:
<html>
    <head>
        <title>My First Website</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>Hallo World</h1>
        <p>This is fun</p>
        <p><a href="https://google.com">Here is a link</a></p>
        <p><src img="https://testblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/hattie.jpg" alt="this is a picture"></p>
    </body>
</html>