Latest work

the poster is a bit webby, is that a good way to describe it?

Most posters for gigs need to be versatile in their final output, if you have a full cmyk process and an amazing printer it will look just fine, however most gig promoters don't have that kind of money. The only time I've seen full colour, decent stock, posters is for tour posters with touring bands, it is an expensive part of the promoting process, and most people aren't prepared to spend the money.

What you've got to kinda think about when it comes to gig posters is think about that thing going through a photocopier as your highest priority and then worry about other mediums afterwards. I've made a far amount of posters in my time and only once have a seen a design printed in colour(!!) and that was because it was a custom job for a A1 design. I've got a regular job working for a venue in Cardiff based on the fact that I do good work that photocopies well.

Sorry if this sounds a little rambly.

Ette Taylor said:
Hi fellow designers, here is my latest work to update my folio as am struggling to get a design job in the current climate...http://ettetaylor.squarespace.com/folio/advert-for-a-gig-poster/

I'd redo your cv - make it more easy on the eye - it doesnt have to scream DESIGN I DO DESIGN IM A GRAPHIC DESIGNER at you. Refine it - make it easier, simpler, more beautiful.

Work looks ok - not much there to go on but looks ok.

Bit hard to judge on one thing, I was expecting at least 2 pieces as you said it was an update.

I'd also go through your text as some of it just didn't read well

I don't necessarily agree with the gig poster not being colour thing completely; though I also have to say that a gig poster should really say what it needs to in text and shouldn't insist upon the colour and graphical element as well...

The portfolio needs a bit more personality as at the moment it doesn't scream creativity as mentioned above.

The graphical execution and typography on poster seems to be good though.

charles said:
I don't necessarily agree with the gig poster not being colour thing completely; though I also have to say that a gig poster should really say what it needs to in text and shouldn't insist upon the colour and graphical element as well...

I didn't mean zero colour, I just think it's best to think in terms of photocopying as it is a fairly common output for gig posters. If you have lots of dark colours, then when it photocopies it will look terrible, as the tonal difference will be not show the details.

It's just my experience.

Thanks for your feedback guys, at the minute am currently in the process of redesigning my cv into a more simplistic style and working on some web design layouts for my own website, plus 5 strong images for my folio to be printed. I know theres a thread on here about CVs, so Ill check that out..

Back