Latest site: newlifecastledouglas.com

Hey dude,

I can indeed change the Who We Are image, but I doubt the client would want to, especially after paying for it already. What is it about it that you don't like?

Interesting point about starting on low opac and then fading up, I'll be interested to see what others think as well.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated!

Well, I just wrote a nice big reply, then I spilt coffee on my keyboard and in cleaning it off, I pressed the back button! So this is my second time writing this response...

- Why is the site on about 750 px wide?

- I would put the logo and find us bit into a white background creating a more defined header.

- I think the navigation text should either be centered in the white boxes, or aligned left, but be consistent.

- I would probably agree with Greg on the homepage images. Maybe show them naturally initially, then apply the current effect on roll-over.

- Their core values on the who we are page are a bit lost at the bottom. If the site was a little wider it would allow some space in the right hand column for it - as I rate core values quite high..

- the treatment on the text within the banner images plays with my eyes a bit, maybe just me.

- On the contact page, there's no address or phone number, and I'd potentially be tempted to have the input boxes in 2 columns shortening the page, but then again, it might not look as good!

I think that's all I've got

My thoughts

- I agree with the jquery effect on images, when used in little portions it can work wonders buy when that "fade" effect is used on everything (the menu items too to) it makes the site appear as it if is responding very slowly whereas a quick rollover to raise the menu items and colour the images could work a lot nicer IMO.

- You've used a right hand sidebar on some of the pages but then on the Kids & Youth page there is no sidebar but the content column still appears as if there is room for one

- Same as the above on the Contact page - why not spread the contact form into two equal columns losing the need to scroll so much?

- So, you added a big "How To Find Us" button in the header area of each page but even when I click I can't find the address, it's only when I reach the bottom of the page that I even get the postcode. Why not have full contact details on both the Find Us AND Contact page?

- I like the concept of having a large image at the top of each page but don't think the corporate type images on the Who We Are and Latest News pages work with the overall website design

- Call be naive or silly for not reading all the text... but after all of the above I still don't really know ho the company are behind the website or what they even really do....

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of feedback there! Sorry to respond so late.

In reply to Chris:

Chris Lord said:
Well, I just wrote a nice big reply, then I spilt coffee on my keyboard and in cleaning it off, I pressed the back button! So this is my second time writing this response...

- Why is the site on about 750 px wide?
I played with a few different grid layouts but it seemed the best fit at the time.

Chris Lord said:
- I would put the logo and find us bit into a white background creating a more defined header.
Do you mean add a white background to the image, rather than have it on the grey background? I can't see what that would add, if that's what you mean. If not, I'm lost, sorry! :(

Chris Lord said:
- I think the navigation text should either be centered in the white boxes, or aligned left, but be consistent.
Interesting point. It currently is as is to line up with the grid system, with the left edge of 'Home' in line with the grid and the right edge of 'Contact Us' also in line with the grid. I personally don't see a problem with it but maybe as I've stared at it so long I'm overlooking the obvious?

Chris Lord said:
- I would probably agree with Greg on the homepage images. Maybe show them naturally initially, then apply the current effect on roll-over.
Maybe it would be worth me upping the initial opacity from 0.5 to something like 0.8, and then full opacity on hover? I'd rather they stood out when hovered, then appeared to fade away.

Chris Lord said:
- Their core values on the who we are page are a bit lost at the bottom. If the site was a little wider it would allow some space in the right hand column for it - as I rate core values quite high..
True, good point. If the content area was wider I could have put it in the right hand side, but as is I think it's really up the client their preference in order. The site is built with a CMS so they can easily re-arrange if they so choose. Good point though.

Chris Lord said:
- the treatment on the text within the banner images plays with my eyes a bit, maybe just me.
I can see what you mean, but I still think it works quite well, anyone else agree that it is a struggle to see?

Chris Lord said:
- On the contact page, there's no address or phone number, and I'd potentially be tempted to have the input boxes in 2 columns shortening the page, but then again, it might not look as good!

I think that's all I've got
Yeah, I'll definitely get onto the client about the address & phone number, and I'll consider shortening it into 2 columns. Thanks Chris.

In reply to Phil:

philjohns said:
My thoughts

- I agree with the jquery effect on images, when used in little portions it can work wonders buy when that "fade" effect is used on everything (the menu items too to) it makes the site appear as it if is responding very slowly whereas a quick rollover to raise the menu items and colour the images could work a lot nicer IMO.
Cheers Phil, I'll look into the image fade speed/opacity.

philjohns said:
- You've used a right hand sidebar on some of the pages but then on the Kids & Youth page there is no sidebar but the content column still appears as if there is room for one
Yeah there is space for sidebar content there, it's just up to the client how he wants to use it. It's currently going to put 'Kids & Youth Events' similar to the 'Latest News' page on there whenever an event is added to the Kids & Youth category, but at the moment there isn't any.

philjohns said:
- Same as the above on the Contact page - why not spread the contact form into two equal columns losing the need to scroll so much?
I'm considering doing that after the last suggestion, cheers.

philjohns said:
- So, you added a big "How To Find Us" button in the header area of each page but even when I click I can't find the address, it's only when I reach the bottom of the page that I even get the postcode. Why not have full contact details on both the Find Us AND Contact page?
Yep, that'll be added.

philjohns said:
- I like the concept of having a large image at the top of each page but don't think the corporate type images on the Who We Are and Latest News pages work with the overall website design
Ok. Not sure what other type of images I could really have put in there though, it had to be good quality so I've gone for stock images, and they're the best I could find without spending an arm and a limb on stock photography.

philjohns said:
- Call be naive or silly for not reading all the text... but after all of the above I still don't really know ho the company are behind the website or what they even really do....
The homepage explains that the website is for a Church, and that the 'denomination' as it were is Elim Pentecostal.

Cheers for the feedback Phil.

In reply to hbr:

halfbuiltrobot said:
I worked setting ads for what seamed an eternity a few years back.
I'm so tired of seeing those flipping stand out from the crowd images...ie one red apple amongst 100 green, in this case a rainbow brolly.
They just smack of Recruitment flim-flam to me, I also feel it doesn't really convay who we are, more we are different......just my thoughts anyway
Fair play, I understand that. To be fair it was the best of a bad bunch as again I was limited on finance for the stock images.

I don't really know how to convey who we are in an image really, I would have thought it's just to catch the eye, before the content does the talking?

In reply to Kevin:

Kevin said:
It won't load for me. Will have to try again later...
Weird, should all be working. Thanks for letting me know anyway Kevin.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I'll be making some adjustments when I'm back to work, any more comments are more than welcome.

Back