Latest browser stats interesting read.

interesting that IE7 is so popular :p I wonder if IE8 will overtake any time soon :)

Chrome did amazingly well considering its the baby of the group, but now that they've released Chrome on Mac.. its going to be hard not to see a rise in the percentage for Chrome.

That and Google's pushing it on every site they have take utube for a great example, but I think it has just jumped because of that according to that article.
The thing that gets me is that if you combine Opera, Safari and Chrome IE6 is still more popular. :eek:

I don't get why people waste so much energy on hating IE 6. Sure, it's terrible at rendering standard-complaint HTML and CSS, but I think it's a bit unfair to try and get it eradicated as then another browser will fall to the bottom of the list for us to hate.

(ADMIN EDIT - Comment deleted.)

That will be skewed by all the businesses who have not yet upgraded from ie6 though.

I have to admit not sure I agree with the comparison.
I personally don't care where IE6 users go even to IE8 as long as it is a more modern browser if everyone of the IE users where using 8 at least the web would be a much faster place, and with website speed becoming a ranking factor next year if you have the majority of your users coming in on IE6 well you wont be doing your self any favors as it is a much slower browser due to how it renders the page, and I was reading that the way Google will work it out is possibly via the tool bar so...

It's just annoying because it does add more time to development having 3 IE's to code for if it was just 1 say IE8 with what 56% share and IE8 rendering the code pretty much the same as the others, rather than it a split share it would be so much better.

But like I say, if IE 6 is abolished then another browser will just fill it's place as being bottom of the pile for us to waste our hatred on.

I'm sick of having to hate IE 6 just to be in the "cool gang". Yes, it is detrimental to modern web design and development practices, but it's there and we have to deal with it.

We're not going to make this another IE6 bashing thread are we? If so I will close the thread for the sake of sanity!

@MCB
TBH I wouldn't moan if IE8 was there, and in fact Opera's bottom of the group isn't it and I use that all most daily. :D

It's more the restrictions, security vulnerabilities and added dev time I want to see it gone, I mean the other night I spent well over 40mins just trying to get this one problem that only flawed up in 6 no matter what I searched for I just couldn't fix it I ended up having to give the right margin some ridiculous number like :-300px to get it to look right, and that to me made no sense I went through everything and I was like ooookaay.

@Chris
I truly hope not. :D

Jazajay said:
@MCB
TBH I wouldn't moan if IE8 was there, and in fact Opera's bottom of the group isn't it and I use that all most daily. :D

I meant bottom in terms of rending web pages. Opera's pretty good at following standards.

I'm sure that web browsers will be like lord of the rings.. eventually there will be one browser to rule them all and in the CSS3 standards, bind them! :lol:

@Chris
I really want to live in your bubble seems a really nice place to live, just beautiful. :cry:

@MCB
IE8's rendering is pretty good as well TBF, doesn't need any more fixes than the others if you write code simple code that's not overly complex.

my bubble is available at all good record stores for £19.99 :D :lol:

hmm ive just seen it in our local esso garage in those bargain bins - 2 for a fiver!
:)

I don't have many problems with ie6 I think as long as you code well the bugs you do come across are quickly sorted.

What I have done recently is stop worrying about making sites looks exactly the same in every browser. Basically this just mean Internet Explorer users will get a slightly less pretty webpage I'm not chopping out any more images for rounded corners/shadows etc (now its all css3). IE users will still get a fully working/readable page just not looking so nice - which if they're using IE they probably don't care about and wouldn't notice anyway!

I've noticed a lot of modern sites are adopting this view too now. - Time for everyone be mature and accept things won't look quiet the same, as long as it still works it doesn't matter + saves the industry so much time in the hacks needed!

Good on Mozilla!

Jazajay said:
@MCB
It's more the restrictions, security vulnerabilities and added dev time I want to see it gone, I mean the other night I spent well over 40mins just trying to get this one problem that only flawed up in 6 no matter what I searched for I just couldn't fix it I ended up having to give the right margin some ridiculous number like :-300px to get it to look right, and that to me made no sense I went through everything and I was like ooookaay.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a few brutal fixes in your ie6 style sheet.

So far this week I have lost way too much time wrestling with the IE6 & 7, a proper waste of time but it still has to be done. I would rather spend this time on something more useful like usability or performance optimisation, rant, rant...

Ok, let's not start another ie6 bashfest, we all know how bad it is - but, it has to be said that Microsoft really does deserve to be up against the firing squad for the mess they have created. ie6 is old, fair enough, but thanks to some truly atrocious architectural decisions with Windows, they made sure that ie was too much of a big deal (esp. for corporates) to upgrade. Nice one.

Although we still can't ignore ie6, the time has come to accept some compromises on rendering fidelity in order to avoid wasting too much time and to keep code clean and up to standard. Also, code for progressive enhancement so modern browsers get the goodies.

@TBWCF
I've started doing that as well, more-or-less, as as you say I don't care if IE users get a more blocky appearance on some design aspects.

On top of that IE9 is having massive upgrades they have support for pretty much all selectors, rounded corners I think text shadow and a few others as well, take into account IE8 rendering is good and IE 9 rendering will either be the same or slightly better and well the future is going to be a better place, but hay if I had a product that went from 98% market share to 54% market share in a few years I would be rushing good ppl to get it to work as good as the competitors especially as a few billion dollars are riding on it from Bing search being the default engine, cough, cough hence Chrome.

@Guru24
O no I totally agree fella, don't see why there shouldn't TBH. :)

Back