Landing page animation.

ARRIVALS

I've been asked to make a simple but fun animation for a client that's to be used on a landing page whilst their website is being made.

I've had to incorporate their current phone logo so this is what I've done.

www.welcometoarrivals.co.uk

Obviously it isn't totally realistic in that the curly cord doesn't stretch when bouncing up and down, but I quite like the honesty of it.

My client would like me to add a ring tone, but as I keep saying, a phone doesn't ring when it's off the hook - as this phone is - so it'd make more sense to have a off the hook tone or a disconnected tone.

Any thoughts?

S'quite nice. I wouldn't use sound though as nobody likes it when their speakers unexpectedly burst into life (do they?). I'd also shorten the cord as it pushes the content off the bottom of my screen at 1280x800.

S'quite nice. I wouldn't use sound though as nobody likes it when their speakers unexpectedly burst into life (do they?). I'd also shorten the cord as it pushes the content off the bottom of my screen at 1280x800.

Shortened the cord now. The SWF itself is 900px wide by 650px length and fixed to the top of the browser, so should fit on your screen anyway?

I was going to add a mute button if I did add sound.:icon_tongue_smilie:

The thing I don't like is the fact that I need to scroll down to see the stuff at the bottom. Also, a mute button's generally fine but if my speakers are on I'm going to be ambushed immediately and am unlikely to stay on the page long enough to start fiddling with the settings.

The thing I don't like is the fact that I need to scroll down to see the stuff at the bottom. Also, a mute button's generally fine but if my speakers are on I'm going to be ambushed immediately and am unlikely to stay on the page long enough to start fiddling with the settings.

No idea why it's making you scroll down. It shouldn't be. I've purposely set it so it wouldn't make people have to scroll down.

I've now re-uploaded it with a resized SWF of 630px high. Any better?

Fits on my screen, how about a dial tone or the BT 'please replace the handset and try again' ...although agree with Dave really with regards to the sound.

Looks fine now: I have a single toolbar at the top of my browser window which may have been pushing it off the screen but then I think a lot of people will be set up like that.

Nice job.

On reflection, just one more (slightly picky) thing: I'd like the 'twang' effect to be over more quickly - I estimate it at about six seconds and reckon it would play better at about half that,

I quite like it, the animation is a bit long like Dave suggested, but on the whole it looks really sleek. Sound for me is a no no too. Maybe you could have a play button for people that really want sound?

Also, you've uploaded it onto your website...I'm guessing that was intentional? It just means we can't access your own site now? Haha.

On a little side note, you can't highlight any of the text, meaning (I think?) Google won't be able to crawl it effectively and although it's a landing page, it'd still be good for search engines to get to grips with it? Like, even just having the company name as an H1 tag would be an improvement over nothing?

Cheers for the feedback guys.

You're right, the bouncing does go on a bit too long, so I am going to shorten it. Regarding sound, he's finally agreed that it doesn't need any, a ringtone, dial tone, nothing, so thats good.

He did say he wasn't bothered whether it was found or not as it's a temporary landing page, but think I will add some tags in it so the name is atleast found.

@Tony, yea I uploaded it to my site to test it. I havn't been given his FTP info yet! My site's back up now though.

I'll post a shortened version up later on.

Well. After all that, and although he loved the phone animation. He's decided to rebrand and go for something else, featuring his logo in the style of a street sign. After picking his own image this is what I've now done for him.

London Calling Management

Any thoughts?

Not sure the sign falling off the wall gives the right message... or is this just while it's under construction?

It's just while it's under construction. I agree with you though, but my client is determined to use this sort of image with some sort of moving animation in it. As there's no moving parts in the image, this is what he wanted to go with.

Personally, I don't really like the grungy, dirty style of the image. I'd much prefer a cleaner image of some sort of white Edwardian or Victorian building.

Thinking along the same lines as DJB: 'under construction' and 'falling apart' are not the same thing.

Thinking along the same lines as DJB: 'under construction' and 'falling apart' are not the same thing.

I agree. Like I said, this is what he asked for, I was unable to persuade him otherwise. He got what he wanted, I got paid .. twice.

Oh...How annoying for you. The previous one was alot more appealing!! At least you got paid!! Not a major fan of it but sounds like you aren't either! Clients that 'know' what they want....Meh!

Back