Ladies Golf Logo - Opinions Welcome

Gabby

Hello!

I am doing a ladies golf logo - which is new for me, I am not used to graphic based logos. A lot of my logos are type rather than creating images from scratch.

I have drawn this and i'm just looking for a bit of feedback on it. Also what is the best way to export so it doesn't have the slight fuzzing/pixelation around the outside. This is 800x800

Thanks

Gabby

Attachments

• llg-800.png
    llg-800.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 17
It stands for Linda Loves Golf. It is a subscription box, marketed at lady golfers.

It is not my logo it is for a client and they wanted texture on the head. I did a block grey/black head and they said it was too flat.

The visor colours change - there are 4 visor colours in total.

My client is pretty happy with it, I just feel unsure/like it needs something else.

Thanks

It stands for Linda Loves Golf. It is a subscription box, marketed at lady golfers.

It is not my logo it is for a client and they wanted texture on the head. I did a block grey/black head and they said it was too flat.

The visor colours change - there are 4 visor colours in total.

My client is pretty happy with it, I just feel unsure/like it needs something else.

Thanks

This was the original draft

Attachments

• llg-block-800.png
    llg-block-800.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 8
I see what you've done there.

I find things like this are deceptively difficult as the first thing most people would do is put a silhouette of a female golfer on there.
This in turn is a bit stereotypical as not all lady golfers are a size eight athlete.

You've avoided that.

If the client demands the gradient then fair enough but as @hankscorpio says, it's too complex.
More in terms of printing and he knows his stuff in that area.

This was the original draft
You have 4 different colours in that. In terms of embroidery you're looking at 4 spools of thread, in screen printing, it's 4 passes on the press, etc.

If anything else it needs less. But it needs more.

@hankscorpio - sorry should have said it’s not for embroidery. It will be printed on a box and used on their website.

What do you think of the block draft ?

You say now it won't be embroidered, but I guarantee at some stage it will be required. However, the block version would be sufficient for this.

I do think it needs a bit of text to explain what LLG is. Other than that - it's ok. Better than what I've seen of other golf logos for ladies.

Just researching golf logos by themselves
https://www.google.ie/search?q=golf...2e3WAhXFVxoKHauhCHMQ_AUICigB&biw=1108&bih=762

Seems to be a bit more refined logos in terms of golf in general, compared to Ladies Golf.

I still think the scope is there to make a much better logo.

For my two penneth:

I think it need a bit more refining.
Don't take me as being harsh but my criticisms would be it looks a little unrefined.

The peak of the cap. It's curvature at the front of the peak doesn't look right and her neck seem to give the appearance of a goiter.

Some of the nodes seem to be angular when they should be curves.

What I'd do personally it to get some reference from the net and trace it.

It should be quite easy to get a ladies profile which is very similar and even a sun shade thing.

The thing with silhouettes is that all you have is the outline so it's important to get that right.

Thanks @scotty

I agree it needs refining - it's just my first time drawing something like this so i've struggled a bit. I did take it from a sketch I did of a female golfer image off the net and scanned it in etc. But my drawing around skills are probably in need of some practice!

Thanks for your comments.

I do admire your wish to use something as a reference and re-draw it for originality.

Thing is, if you trace it with the pen tool (not image trace) it will be slightly stylised in the process.
Essentially, you're adding a step that doesn't need doing as you will be trying to step back again to the original (if you get my drift).

I think you need it to be as close as possible to the original without it being too photographic and tweak and stylise any bits you are uncomfortable from there.

The outline needs to be right as that's the only information you have to play with.

Further to what Scotty says, I think it might look better if the head was an outline and not silhouette. You should be able to make it
more easily recognisable as a female, hair up at the back, a few long strands etc.

What would you different to make it better @hankscorpio other than just change the gradients?

I was hoping to point you in a direction that offering direct ideas.

Looking at what's on offer in terms of Ladies Golf logos, the standard is pretty poor.
And looking at what's on offer in terms of Golf logos in general, the standard is pretty high.

I was hoping you'd take the initiative to research and find that balance.

For instance, instead of a full head sillhouette, why not a half line drawing of a ladies head.
Something like top left (below image)

can-stock-photo_csp5445547.jpg

This style of drawing with a peak cap, etc. could look a lot classier.

Back