Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Kakushin, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Kakushin

Kakushin Junior Member

Hey fellow designers

I found this place after looking for somewhere to get advice on my work, this came up on Google so I registered!

I've been designing websites for years, but only recently started designing logos and printed media. I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say!

2. Konichiwa, Kakushin!

Who, what, where, when and why?
  3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Konbanwa (as it's evening) Kakushin. DF ni Youkoso. (I think it should say welcome to df)

sidenote: konichiwa is good afternoon and it's evening :up:
  4. berry

berry Active Member

I'll go for a simple Hello and welcome to DF, enjoy the banter here Kakushin
  5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Ohayo is good morning, right? Lets hope he reads this tomorrow then.
    Ohayo, Kakushin-kun. ("-kun" being a mark of respect used for men who are younger or the same age. Less formal than "-san")
  6. Levi

yeah you can skip gozaimasu as far as I know unless you're like a servent to the person you're speaking to, it's a very formal sign of respect to the best of my knowledge :)

I've always associated kun as being a more intimate honorific, ie it's between people who are more familiar with one another while -san is just a generic term, a bit like our mr/mrs etc.
  7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Ah thanks Levi, gozaimasu removed. You've probably watched more anime than me but I was sure I'd seen -kun used between strangers just wanting to show a bit of respect too, but the person being addressed with -kun was normally younger. You're probably right. Well I don't think I'll bother with -san, it seems overly formal for this. Damn japanese politeness hierarchies! New greeting: Hello, Kakushin, and welcome to the forum.
  8. Levi

yeah Japanese honorifics are a bit complicated to say the least, then there's the bowing side of it where you need to bend over further and for longer if the other person has more status or if they're older than you (the older bit is hard with asian people as they can look really young for their age).

It's a brilliant culture but god damn do they make it hard for us westerners to learn their cultures lol
  9. I think you scared him off.
  10. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

I used to work for a Japanese firm, who although based in the UK had Guys coming over from japan on a regular basis, was a nightmare not to come across as rude! although they do enjoy our drinking and working culture :)
  11. I worked for Japanese firm 'Oki Printing Solutions' UK plant in Cumbernauld for many years, and Japanese engineers would be transferred to the UK on secondment. Hard working, hard playing, but by jove great to work with... once you got past the formalities!
  12. berry

berry Active Member

I had a Suzuki 250 once