Keep Britain Tidy...

Dave1975

Does this logo make you want to put your rubbish in the bin?

New:
2009186_DW_keep2.jpg

I'm not into littering myself, but I think the new identity for 'Keep Britain Tidy' could have been stronger by modernizing the existing/well-known logo. As it stands the new logo looks a bit too generic, and could be a generic corporate logo, rather than a logo to inspire recycling.

Old:
keep-britain-tidy.jpg

More info about the re-brand at Design Week: Brand Catalyst creates new Keep Britain Tidy identity | News | Design Week

well it would be nice to actually see a bin out this way :)

Why they couldnt just update the old design I don't know but hey atleast it looks like the job centre logo now :)

Levi said:
:) but hey atleast it looks like the job centre logo now :)

Doesn't quite do it for me, but i guess it's not bad for £250 million and countless focus groups of the taxpayers money.

Seems a bit to simplistic. I do like the font though.
It must be a bit of a poisoned chalice of a brief, trying to figure out what will change the minds of people that litter.
It seems like a thoughtless sort of thing to do (littering), so is any amount of design or creative thinking really going to change how someone deals with their rubbish?

Krey20 said:
It seems like a thoughtless sort of thing to do (littering), so is any amount of design or creative thinking really going to change how someone deals with their rubbish?

I agree with what your saying Ken, but at the same time think the old logo was more effective at communicating the message, I guess as the old logo had been around for so long it would have stopped being noticed? A refresh of the old logo with a symbol/icon in a more modern style would have been more effective IMO.

Difficult one to approach, how can you stop people littering with design? Remember seeing a campaign a while back in Maidstone (Kent) with slogans like 'Only Losers Drop Litter' - seemed like it was trying too hard to be young/hip and just sounded like it would miss the mark as such. They also had one to do with fast food not being so fast and going on to say about the fines for littering, I'd guess that would have more of an effect out of the two.

Don't worry, the Tidyman will still appear on campaigns, but as an anchor to campaign straplines, rather than as the organisation's logo. The original tidyman and bin was created by Anheuser Busch for its beer packaging, decades ago, and it has become a generic symbol for responsible litter disposal, used worldwide. It has now been refreshed for Keep Britain Tidy and given a new role in publicity campaigns, working alongside the new logo. The key to the new logo is the emphasis of the it in Britain, which means we can create more specific campaigns around the idea of Let's keep it tidy! and Help keep it tidy! Let's keep Bracknell tidy! etc.

Hi 'brand_catalyst',

Good of you to stop by and leave a reply to this thread :up:

Interesting to learn where the original tidyman logo originated, and good to hear the little guy will be sticking around for some time yet. I understood the extensions of 'Keep It Tidy' (although I have been reading on a few blog comments viewers seeing the 'Keep Brain Tidy' first!?) I guess in location examples you just drop the 'it', is that the same if the location does have 'it' within? eg. Whitstable, would it be 'Keep whITstable Tidy'?

Look forward to seeing the new logo rolled out into campaigns, and seeing how it all develops.

Greg

I don't think a logo can make people stop littering... You'll need big lifesize posters showing a scene (e.g. the consequences of littering). The new logo is better than the old one though, it just doesn't do the trick either.

i think that they should have developed the tidy man,
to bring him into the 21st century.

the new logo just doesnt hit the mark.

Back