Justmythoughts.co.uk - Where to from here?

Jed

Hi again,

I hav recently developed a flash application holding page for a client using XML and the Flash Panoramaplayer Engine.

http://www.justmythoughts.co.uk

The idea behind the site is that the regular public (us) can post any thought (keeping it clean obviously XD). Now this flash application is only meant to be holding page for the moment as the current site is being developed.

Any comment is kkl - one liners, one words answers are acceptable as long as they mean something XD.

I want to further develop the site and so research is required.

woah, what have you been smoking? It's like being trapped in a Rubik's cube!

What does it do again?

:D

Ok I really like the effect of being inside a Rubiks Cube, very clever! And I like the arrow keys so tthe viewer can look in 3 dimensions.

But you're committing a standard website no no, with what seems like "Mystery Navigation" When you mouse over the symbols its clearly a link to something but what? The Logo is also sort of a little dry? Maybe could add some color to it just my personal opinion:) :eek:

Other then that, its great.

inside a rubiks cube was my thoughts too.
Took too long to allow me to drag and rotate.
No explanation as to how to use it, it's purely a guess and prod type affair

I'm not entirely sure I 'get' the concept or idea behind the site?
Perhaps all will become clear when the site is completed??

:D FEEDBACK!!!!! Thanks....These are all valid points except for one: the logo sadly.

LEvi:
Are you saying that the turning rate is too slow or the rate at which it turns XD. The engine which this is built on loads the images externally - there are 6 1000x 1000px plus the ''Mystery Panels' - I have optimised the images as much as I can keeping the quality.

Rhonda:
The idea of the Rubiks Cube: Is to have 'Mystery Panels that display the thoughts of the website owner on it - I could apply a mouse hover effect to it and make more recognizable?

If you take out the button effect the black words are the logo. MEh I know but the client sent it to me so what choice do I have :(?

TomSound:
XD You got the idea in one...I ended up designing a rubiks as this multi faceted object seemed to reflect the many thoughts of the client (though the concept was a combined effort between my boss and me XD).

Greg:
If I look at your post I understand why it hasn't been getting many hits or longer-term visitor's. I could maybe display a summary or a zoomin menu on first arrival.

I appreciate all the comments and I will work hard to get the next revision to address these problems.

bit of both, the time it takes to load took too long (one of the things I hate about flash anyways) for me personally and the rotate is a bit of a mixed bag, if it's dragging it's too slow for me (20" widescreen) and if I drag and leave at the edges it's a bit too fast.

As to the panels, couldn't you do 1 smaller square (they're all the same anyways) repeated 9 times for each of the 6 sides.

ps. geass

JeD said:
Greg:
If I look at your post I understand why it hasn't been getting many hits or longer-term visitor's. I could maybe display a summary or a zoomin menu on first arrival.

That could be part of the explanation, if you think of the average visitor and their attention span to a new site, yet alone a new idea, then yes I would expect to see a very high bounce rate on this. A summary could be a good idea, to be honest I understand what the function of the site is, you can post random thoughts, but I'm not really sure I get the value to a user, is it just out of intrigue you want them to read all the thoughts?

Good to see a new member responding to feedback given by the way :) we get so many new members dropping by, asking for feedback, and then never see them again.

Well I should be thanking you! I am still inexperienced so this information is invaluable to me XD.

Lavi:
bit of both, the time it takes to load took too long (one of the things I hate about flash anyways) for me personally and the rotate is a bit of a mixed bag, if it's dragging it's too slow for me (20" widescreen) and if I drag and leave at the edges it's a bit too fast.

As to the panels, couldn't you do 1 smaller square (they're all the same anyways) repeated 9 times for each of the 6 sides.

ps. geass

Unfortunately the XML for the panos isnt the same as normal CSS properties. I cannot tile the images this way - every property has to be positioned accordingly. And if I do it the way in which you have stated it will result in a slower turn - the images are fixed sizes but the XML coding used allows the browser to dynamically rescale and size it (this is the slow part of it).

I am able to decrease/increase the response and speed options on the panorama to a degree - it is all client based so most of it relies on the client PC. The most I can do is add a preloader - this will indicate a load phase but as it wont improve any current loading times I am hesitant to do it.

XD - BUSSTTTEEDD!! Yep this is the Famous Eye of Code Geass XD - in all it's photoshopped glory. I mod a forum for CodeGeass.us (I think the biggest unofficial site in the US for CG - (and horribly designed a site for it too T-T).

I like it!

I'd be tempted to invert the dragging controlls though, so it moves like you've dragged it with the mouse instead of following the mouse movement you made.

Very interesting idea sir.

Hmm I may adopt that idea for the future version Jimlad (anything for ergonomics XD).

I am thinking 3d miniature rotating swf which responds to mouse drag as well. Its gonna be hell to convert the controls (it may not work) but we will see.

I am working on making the pano speed a bit faster at the moment. Also anyone know any good alternatives to showing this pano on the Iphone. I originally wanted to show a recorded video of the panorama in action and a link tro download flash for the full expericne - however wifi connection problems come into play. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Back