Just setting up on my own

Hi Jungledrum, welcome to the forum!

It is a hard situation, but I'm not sure if you're likely to get any interest from your current site, purely because your work isn't accessible. There are plenty of agencies that display their work off the bat, and that is what clients are arguably interested in. If you don't have permission to use the work you've already done at different agencies, then you should look into ways of getting work by word of mouth or talking to friends, family etc.

Once you build up some work commissioned to you as a freelancer/business, then get that on your site.

I do see some portfolios of designers that is mostly filled with work done at agencies, but I'm not sure if they have permission, or it's just the way that they display their work, that they can get away with it. ie. you're not taking a proactive role on your website to sell your services using that work, instead it is merely a means to show your work off.

Are you not happy with your job and hoping to go freelance? Do you want to earn a little extra on the side? Are you just looking for some projects that you can truly call your own; for self-fulfillment?

If you're really trying to go all out by yourself, your boss might be quite understanding. If anyone would know, it'd be you.

the plan is to try and pick up work where i can by being competitively priced and while i still have a job the money is not so much of an issue, i'd only need 4 or 5 pieces to start with to get some work up

Just getting talking to people then. Remember you're a professional designer with an inherent value - don't undervalue yourself just to get piddly bits of work!

Are you really sure that your boss doesn't want you to show the world the work you have done for/with him? You would inevitably advertise his company by displaying it, which would be a good thing for him. I'd try to negotiate; he might accept the deal, at least for some projects, I suppose. I can't see how someone could deny their employees something so important for their career...

PS
Welcome to the forum!

Nice site, welcome aboard.

Other than the previous comments I'd just say that the 'Tweet me' button stands out too much, it's the first thing my eyes are drawn to on every page and doesn't really fit in with the scheme of the site. Other than that though, looking nice.

Back