Junior Designer Pricing for Branding

creative82

Hello All,

I would really appreciate help from all of you who are more experience in this field.

I am a recent graduate (MA Branding) and had just been offered a freelance job. Basically, what the client wants is:

+ logo design
+ stationery
+ packaging design (3 sizes)
+ website layouts (5-6 pages)

And as they called it "some sort of branding".

It seems like they need full visual identity. I am not sure what other bits of branding they have done already (like positioning, audience profiles etc).

Even though it looks like they only need those 4 elements, but I feel like it's a lot of work, as none of this elements have been worked on yet.

As I explain, I'm just starting with no experience in industry apart of internship, small freelance projects for friends and 5 years at Uni.

Although I know my work, I don't feel I can charge like a pro just yet. Simply because I feel that I take a lot more time to design then somebody with more experience.

So If you say.... workout your hourly rate and multiply by how long it will take you.... it won't help as I know it will take me longer....

Any ideas of what I should tell my client? What would be the package price for all the work?

I thought something in between £800- £2000, but that's a big price range.

Please help, as I have no ideas at all, and I don't wont to kill the profession with prices that are just to low.

Thanks!!!

Pricing and practice suggestion

Hi Creative 82,

Let us take it in stages.

1. Logo design

This is the basis of all ongoing identity work, so this will be the most important aspect of the project. I would therefore split the project this way, suggest you produce some rough logo ideas, maybe 8-10.

Once this stage is completed, you are armed with an agreed base. You can then apply the logo
onto the various items required.

2, Stationery

Now you have a logo (agreed) you can supply a few layouts of items required, taking into account
how they are to be used…how invoices etc are composed, Comp slips (do they use them as short notes, so leave space etc)

Packaging.

You don't mention what kind of packaging, if it is for biscuits or toasters? Just give a couple of
variations, consider what they look like on shelf (if indeed on shelf) or where displayed, will they
need bar coding (get the client to supply).

If you are completing Design and finished artwork ready for production, be ready for client changes,
so make sure that you explain that all changes other than initially agreed will be charged extra.

Check and re check all spelling, files and colours (CYMK and RGB) depending on production.
Get the client to check all and sign off final files (an actual signature).

Web pages.

Simple style pages unless you are producing the site? But if not, think about usage.

BUT. The most important thing is payment. Get your payment terms upfront, it will save any
mis understandings or mischief on the clients side. This is a business you are in.

I would go in at £1,500 for the initial project, paid in 3 stages.

a) Logo and stationery, 50% upfront (£250) and final payment on hand over of final artwork files.

b) Packaging (as above)

c) Web (as above)

This will manage your time, and will afford you an ongoing income over the project (as a newbie),
if hitting any snags, speak to friendly printers/designers, they will help I am sure.

I would recommend not handling print, buying print, buying photography at this stage, if you need images, suggest a photographer or Image library (iStock is cheap). Buying is a risky business
and can end up costing at this stage.

Hope this helps, I am sure others may suggest similar.

Best
JohnW

If a client 'just wants a price' and offers no brief, then you need to put some questions to them so that you have something to price against.
Asking for a 'logo' needs some form of clarification of what the logo stands for/represents and quite importantly who their competitors are and the market that the identity will sit in.
If a client comes back with a dubious bit of clip art, then you have a ballpark idea as to their aspirations/expectations. If they come back with some quality brand identities then the same applies.
You can then price accordingly.

The logo is your biggest job as this sets the basis for all the other work.

Your next big job is the packaging design (this is my field!) - again, ask for examples of where they want to be or where their brand will sit.
Split this into 'packaging graphic design' and 'packaging artwork' - you don't need to design every option, just show the style applied to one or two components that they have approved. Then the variations of the design can be produced during the artwork stage.

Company logo/stationery design is often different to the brand identity required for packaging graphics - make sure this is clear.

Charge 'design' as one job and then a price per artwork. If they add more artworks, then you charge more.

Word your quote 'prices based on the info/brief received so far and subject to change upon receipt of full brief'.

Next priority: stationery design and then artwork - smaller, quicker, based on style of logo.

I'll leave website project out as it's not my field, but no doubt others can help here. Logo, colour and tone of voice can all come from logo design project/packaging graphics.

I'm not going to suggest pricing, but feel that your prices should be weighted as above.

Hope this helps. (Forgive the shameless keyword link included...I've spent 10 mins typing this!)

Back