Juicy design problem. I need your help!

BrightLights

Hi people,

A client of ours needs these two logos to sit together on the cover of some literature. They are the logos of two group/sister companies and need to hold equal respect on the page.

twologos.jpg
View attachment 321

The fact that one is short and fat while the other is much wider and thinner means they currently clash. The cluttered awkward shape of the Blanchard Wells logo also doesn't help. I am aloud a redesign of the Southern Concrete logo in order to make them sit more comfortably in the same space but the Blanchard wells one cannot be touched.

any Ideas?

It's a tough one!

Attachments

• twologos.jpg
    twologos.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 4
My first reaction would be to stack southern on top of concrete, and the lines. This should form a block in similar proportions to the other logo. It might mean the word 'southern' is given greater prominence.

That Blanchard logo is doing nothing for me though, shame you can't change it!

Yes, the Blanchard logo looks like it's fallen cropper to the 'lets stretch this' no one with notice!!

Stacking seems the best option, but yes, push for 2 redesigns!

I agree with Ken the Blanchard logo is a dead duck.

Really I would take both back to the drawing board and make a fresh start.

Here's the stacked logos however....see what I mean.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for your help guys. I agree that stacking is the way forward! The Blanchard logo is a shambles isn't it (Not designed by us I must add) stubborn client won't let me touch it though as they have it on all their equipment. Very annoying.

I hate it when a client fixates on the idea that their logo is their brand. I try to encourage the idea of flexible identity, but it can be very difficult sometimes.

I think it's just a fact that sometimes logos that have to sit together could be seen as clashing visually. But I don't see it as a problem really, because I think a cell of the viewer's brain kicks in - and that cell knows that these are different companies' logos that have to sit together - I think that brain cell helps separate them out into different entities - so the clash isn't so much a problem - though I'm sure spacing and positioning of the elements is still important.

So for a redesign, I'd suggest looking at other marketing reasons for or against a redesign, too.

1. Ask your client if you can drop the 'groundworks contractor' on the blue logo
2. Ditto for the squares?
3. Unstretch it a little bit without telling and see if he notices :p

Back