Jquery urm query

TallPaul

Hey guys :)

Noticing as of late there are more and more sites using Jquery and it seems to be getting quite a popular thing.

What exaclty is it for though? Can it be used to replace flash for simple animations? Isnt worth it to learn Jquery?

I really like this site i found Alex Buga's Livingroom isnt my site but looks like he uses Jquery on it, looks great.

Essentially what jQuery does is provide a simplified syntax to do snazzy animations and interactions in javascript.

It's a great way to get your foot in the door if you want to do more stuff with javascript later on down the line.

Looking to learn both eventually starting to look at some Jquery tutorials but having trouble actually downloading jquery, i click download and it opens a window of the code, i then copy and pasted and saved as jquery.js but dont think it is working. :S

You have to link to jquery.js like you would with any script file; at the bottom of the page, just before the </body> tag.

You then also have to have a file for stuff you do... I usually call mine effects.js or cleverstuff.js or compressed.js when it's compressed.

HTML:
<script src="./js/jquery-1.4.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="./js/compressed.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Your effects.js should be laid out like this -

Code:
$(document).ready(function() {     //Your code goes here});

if jQuery is something you're interested in looking into, definitely checkout the website, there's shed loads of information on there for what you need to get started. There's also plenty of tutorials around that can put you in the right direction for using the it.

Cheers guys got the starter pack and downloaded the jquery saved as jquery.js and put it in the starter pack like it says, then gonna get down and dirty with the tutorials.

Back