Job Title & Position

nospace

My friend and I decided to start a multidisciplinary studio, where IT and design became our main focus. She graduated from an IT degree program while I graduated with a BFA in communication design. But, a few days later, she said that she wants to create a separate company so we can easily organize the business. So, now we're having two names (companies) under the same roof and I'm confused what title or position I should give to her because she still helps me manage things (mostly in promotion). I think both of us are co-founders, but I'd like to specify clear positions and roles in the company. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Welcome to the fourm.

I can understand roles but why do you need to define titles at this stage?

I think you're pretty excited and looking forward to get going. I'm always glad to see this when anything is starting off, but (if you don't mind me being honest) it all sounds a little bit disorganized 'a few days later, she said that she wants to create a separate company', 'I'm confused what title or position I should give to her' and 'I think both of us are co-founders' - so what I would suggest is deciding and agreeing on something in terms of plan of action (call it a business plan if you like) but keep it pretty simple and short at this stage.

Once you have done that I think you can move on to thinking about roles. Who will be doing what work? When you sit down at your desk, ready to start, what will you (and the other co-founder) actually start to work on? That should give you a good idea in the direction of what title to give.

Final note and my opinion... if you don't want to sound all pretentious, give yourself a simple title. For example, 'Designer' as opposed to 'Director and Head of Creative Media' or something like that ;)

Um...maybe I'm a little different on my views here and there may be technicalities we've missed.

you both start company a as 'partners'
she says she wants to run hers as it's own company (we'll call that b for ease)
that leaves company a as your business and b as hers. Well it does in my opinion.

She then fulfils a service in company a... ie you employ her (or company B) to do a job.

Honestly, she can call herself what she wants for HER business, she's not technically part of your business anymore. It's a bit like me hiring say Alex or Wac above to do some of my work, they're not staff or a partner.

I'd be getting company b to invoice company a for the work she's doing and then company a can claim it against your (company a) business income... assuming she's being paid etc.

Oh and as a side note.... Personally I'd be a little concerned about 2 companies at the same location where one 'could' take on some of the others work.... poaching clients etc come to mind.

wac said:
Welcome to the fourm.

I can understand roles but why do you need to define titles at this stage?
Well, it seems to me that she wants to lead both companies. She is now trying to manage my team, asking them to report their tasks to her. I should have been worried before. She prob would and could claim the business in the next few months.

Alex Gilmore said:
I think you're pretty excited and looking forward to get going. I'm always glad to see this when anything is starting off, but (if you don't mind me being honest) it all sounds a little bit disorganized 'a few days later, she said that she wants to create a separate company', 'I'm confused what title or position I should give to her' and 'I think both of us are co-founders' - so what I would suggest is deciding and agreeing on something in terms of plan of action (call it a business plan if you like) but keep it pretty simple and short at this stage.

Once you have done that I think you can move on to thinking about roles. Who will be doing what work? When you sit down at your desk, ready to start, what will you (and the other co-founder) actually start to work on? That should give you a good idea in the direction of what title to give.

Final note and my opinion... if you don't want to sound all pretentious, give yourself a simple title. For example, 'Designer' as opposed to 'Director and Head of Creative Media' or something like that ;)
You're right. She's so unpredictable. Gosh, my head is going to explode now..

Levi said:
Um...maybe I'm a little different on my views here and there may be technicalities we've missed.

you both start company a as 'partners'
she says she wants to run hers as it's own company (we'll call that b for ease)
that leaves company a as your business and b as hers. Well it does in my opinion.

She then fulfils a service in company a... ie you employ her (or company B) to do a job.

Honestly, she can call herself what she wants for HER business, she's not technically part of your business anymore. It's a bit like me hiring say Alex or Wac above to do some of my work, they're not staff or a partner.

I'd be getting company b to invoice company a for the work she's doing and then company a can claim it against your (company a) business income... assuming she's being paid etc.

Oh and as a side note.... Personally I'd be a little concerned about 2 companies at the same location where one 'could' take on some of the others work.... poaching clients etc come to mind.
So, what happened was she suddenly changed her mind right after we rented a place. I also think that she's no longer being a part of the business. For my own good, I'm going to create a legal agreement.

What Levi said sounds like the most sensible arrangement to me. Sounds like you need to be clear in terms of who is in charge of (and more importantly, legally responsible for) what. The longer things are muddled, the longer they'll take to untangle later on.

Back