Job Logging Software

ncgraphics

Hi we are a small company starting out relying on paper trail for job orders, quotes, print orders. What software do you guys recommend? or a free alternative?

Tharsten is probably the best system I've seen but I haven't seen many.

Tharsten can be used to input new jobs, calculate estimates, provide basic information for the press room for imposition (although these can always change at the floor managers discretion). It's pretty neat. I think it can also produce JDF tickets to follow a job through to completion.

MIS & Commercial Print Software Solutions | Tharstern Limited

They seem kinda expensive, we are only a small team of 3 people who require the software.. are they any free alternatives or something a little cheaper? most of the seem online subscription based. any stand alone programs with a one off payment?

For a small team then a Spreadsheet shared on a network drive - if you're not using a server then you can use Dropbox or Google Drive.

Calculations can be made over sheets.

If you need something very custom you can probably find an Excel or Access expert that can set you up quite well for a one off fee.

But using a Database software like Access coupled with Excel would do wonders.

I've been approached recently by a company called w3p.com who appear to offer a well rounded solution.

From reading on the website, it is based on some pretty flexible looking software that includes workflow management for you, your client and perhaps your suppliers. It has web 2 print available too.

They have offered me an online demo a couple of times, I've yet to find time to look into it further but i'm planning on attending a demo at some point as the costs look reasonable, and breaking it down into a team of three who would use it, looks like it will cost £33 per person per month, basically just over £1 a day per person. The time saving that is appears to offer by having everything in one system looks worth the cost, in fact this has spurred me on to get a demo arranged.

Back