Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job interview

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by ajscott83, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ajscott83

ajscott83 Junior Member

Well, i've been invited in for a 'chat' as they put it, on Wednesday to a design agency in Edinburgh. I've never had an interview at an agency before, i've only ever had interviews as an in house designer for events companies or marketing agencies.

What will the differences be? Less formal, more relaxed? Same old questions? I dont know what to expect, or what to wear to the interview. Would smart trousers, shoes and a black shirt be ok? I think i'd rather be over dressed than under dressed.

2. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Overdressed is always better than underdressed. Expect what you normally expect. They're going to ask you questions about your work, your work history, what you like, don't like and so on... Make sure you have some questions for them... it may be a little more relaxed in the interview depending on the individual. Hopefully your work will speak for itself, just be prepared to talk about it

3. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Smart Casual.

Jeans/Shirt/ Jumper/ that kind of ****.

Do your research on the company - if you can see who the people are on their website, see what work they've done, who they work for etc etc etc.

There's nothing worse than sitting in an interview with an interview who knows jack **** about the place they're trying to get a job at.

Its not all about the portfolio, its about the person too. Act like a smug cocky get, and forget it. Act all shy and quiet, forget it. Confident smart and be able to talk about yourself and your work.

4. ajscott83

ajscott83 Junior Member

Cheers,

I think this is most important for me when going to a job interview: Do your research on the company - if you can see who the people are on their website, see what work they've done, who they work for etc etc etc.

There's nothing worse than sitting in an interview with an interview who knows jack **** about the place they're trying to get a job at.

As long as i know something about the company, and i can ask relevant questions at the end of the interview, and sort of interview them slightly, I tend to do alright. I'm not someone who panics, and i dont see the point in over rehearsing answers to questions i might not even get asked, it actually made me more nervous when i used to do this. And of course as long as my portfolio looks good too :) that helps!!

Wish me luck...

5. AcademyClassMates

AcademyClassMates Junior Member

Good luck! And remember to be on time for the interview.

6. Tofayel

Tofayel Junior Member

You should wear official dress. You should not worry, they will simply asked you about job related questions and your background. Also they may try to assess your expectation, hope, efficiency, personality etc.

7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Always have a question to ask, asking about the company's general practices served me well in the past. Good luck.