Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job for the future

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Recapture, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Recapture

Recapture Junior Member

Hi I'm 15 and I will be finishing school in June, I was wondering if anyone is CEO or connected with a designing agency who are looking for talented young designers.
    I will happily work on minimum wage. I live in Leeds so if anyone is connected to anyone, please let me know how I could contact them with more information.

If your interested also, PM me or forever I will stay a freelancer ;)
  2. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Most talented young designers in my experience -

Have a portfolio of work behind them.
    Have qualifications above GCSE.
    Have been to university or even college.
    Understand how a design agency works.
    And is over 15.

Before you start touting yourself out for a job - i'd have something to back it up with.

Good luck.
  3. Wee Jimmy

Wee Jimmy Senior Member

4. Recapture

Recapture Junior Member

@Ross - Thanks, ye I agree but still they started somewhere before they got their rep and a good name. I'm going to college for Engineering as I can pick designing up second hand as a hobby so thought it wouldn't be worth the time.

Should I just carry on as I am and follow it up later?
  5. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

wow you remind me of me at that age. Don't think you can just walk into design, because you can't, trust me I had the same idea at that age, left school during a levels and have never worked for a design company. I'm getting there slowly, just become in-house designer for the company I have worked at for the last 4 years but that's only because I've been doing freelance work for them for a while.

Ross is right, however you don't always have to go to uni, a lot of guys on here didn't go, but it still takes a damn lot of hard work. Keep it as a hobby to build your skills and portfolio and if you can change the course you will be doing to design.
  6. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Hmm...just what I was thinking.
  7. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

If your parents happen to know someone who will take you on, that is about your best shot out of school.
  8. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

If this the case i'd suggest trying to do what you're doing.

But maybe at an engineering company.
  9. Recapture

Recapture Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. Ye was entrigued to see how many of you got into current positions - I usually find freelancers form an agency with friends. I've seen many people that I know form them.

I don't quite understand the relevance of the picture? :s
  10. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

When you understand, then you will know.
  11. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

:O Do you know who it is in the picture? Understand....
  12. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

The dude from men in black, right?
  13. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I started as an intern at an agency (edit: also at 15). But unless you "know some people" (like I did) I wouldn't get your hopes up on finding anything. Especially if you don't have any decent work to back you up.
  14. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

LOL......I haven't had a laugh like that for ages, seriously never going to work.

Engineering is nothing like design, doing design as a hobby will neglect the key area's you need to learn about, it's not just a case of learning how to use photoshop etc.

Seriously do yourself a favour, if you want to get into design focus on design and go learn about it, if you want to do engineering then carry on but don't think you can get into design if you treat it as a hobby. Most of the people on this forum have been interested in illustration/design since as soon as they could draw (note draw, not use a mac/pc).
  15. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Eh, he could learn how to design in his spare time if he cared about it enough. It isn't how much time you give to something, but what you do with it.
  16. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Tommy Lee Jones. Remember the name, for he is in some brilliant films you may yet discover.

I agree with exactly what Levi said (and would've posted similar yesterday had my iPhone stayed awake). Choose which path you want to follow, then run down it full pelt.
  17. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

It's not to do with the amount of time etc, it's the fact the word hobby was used, I do photography as a hobby, been doing it for years, doesn't mean I'm able to do what a pro does....