Job Application/CV website

Xenonsoft

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of applying for a full-time job, looking at web design & development. I've taken the main areas in a CV and created a website to send along with each job application.

If you have any opinions I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers!

Introducing Fred Rivett

Looks nice enough

Found a 'bug'. The 'text' moves the 'a potted history' up on the screen when you select a period, I'm viewing on windows 8 using palemoon (firefox derivative) on 1920x1080p screen. Looks like it's trying to centre the container vertically and is adjusting due to more text.

Only thoughts really are:
Does it show off enough 'web design skills' - it's all clean etc and very much 'on trend' for the moment but does it show enough of what you can do
Some of the background colours might be a little overpowering against the white text (the orange coffee for example) making the text hard to read. You've got a similar issue with the yellow on the 'homepage', it's blending with the white a bit too much for my tastes.
I'd personally add a little padding around the circle picture you've used for your profile image, it just seems a little cramped with the text overlapping

:)

Hey Levi, thanks for taking the time to have a look and drop me some feedback, much appreciated.

The potted history section is a bit jarring, I agree. I messed around with that section, looking at how best to format it for quite a while and in the end decided it was 'good enough' to move on to the other sections. I think I need to revisit it to make it a bit smoother. As you say, it's all vertically centered, hence the movement, but there's probably a better way to make the transition.

With regards to showing off web design skills, it's a good point. As you say, it's quite clean and not overly complicated, there's a couple of bits I'm happy with and it does show off some skills (initial tests seem to show it work pretty well across a variety of devices, need to test this more though), but doesn't shout 'look how awesome I am!' I'm intending to add a bit more polish to the site to give some finishing touches though.

The text/bg contrast for a couple of the sections is a bit tight. In my opinion it works on my screen but might be an issue on other screens, I've not had a chance to test that just yet.

Nearly everyone I've shown the site to mentions the spacing around the circle profile image. I quite like it as it's a bit different and for me is still just as legible, but seems like most people aren't of the same opinion so may be something I'll have to tweak.

Appreciate the feedback Levi :)

Fred said:
The text/bg contrast for a couple of the sections is a bit tight. In my opinion it works on my screen but might be an issue on other screens, I've not had a chance to test that just yet.

:)
The thing with this is that most of us designers will have calibrated screens (mine is), in my opinion not all web designers will be so it could be better or worse for them. It might be worth seeing if you can find someone with a stock install of windows which is using default calibration as that will show you if it will work ok. And as a little side note, good contrasting colours show you understand the requirements of people with visual impairments and how certain colour combinations are hard for them to read. :)

As to the moving bug, have you considered adding a little padding on the smaller sections so they are seen as being the same size or even maybe setting a min/max height for them so they don't move?

Back