Job advice for a desperate Graduate!

Hembleton

Hey

I'm a communication design graduate fairly competent with graphic design although my portfolio definitely needs sprucing up. (I spent most of my efforts focusing on illustration)

I've been working full time in a job completely unrelated to design just to earn some money but it's beginning to get me down quite a lot. I have a fair few savings so was considering jumping the gun and just quitting to work on my portfolio and put all my efforts into design.

Is this a wise decision? I would really appreciate some advice from those more experienced. My ambition is to be self employed anyway, is this the best time to just take the plunge?

I have found it difficult making time or even being inspired to do some design work what with my general mood and work timetable.

I've been there so totally understand where you're coming from.

You might not like it but my advice would be to build your portfolio and skills as much as you can before taking the leap.
Try to use your spare time to do as much as you can while you still have an income.

That being said, there's never the perfect time, you'll never have enough money saved, your portfolio will never be perfect and you'll never have learned everything.

I guess only you will know when the time is right but if you sort out your portfolio first at least, then you'll be able to focus on things like getting paid work, self promotion and stuff when you do go for it.

There are a few articles out there about making the leap to freelance and about preparation and when and how.
Most of it is common sense really but still worth a read.

Whenever you do it I wish you all the best. It's worth it. :D

I was fortunate enough to be self-employed straight from uni, never worked full-time for a studio, only as a freelancer. This was only possible because I had a regular client I'd been working with since my second year and a studio I did work experience with who offered me freelance work, I hadn't planned on working for myself straight from uni but my situation and workload luckily just made it possible.

I really wouldn't recommend just jumping straight in without some steady income and a network of contacts. If you can afford to, maybe switch to a part-time job so you have more time free to focus on what you want to do but still have your living costs covered. Get into studios for portfolio crits, make friends and just ask them if they can help you get started. They may not have a position open or any work they can offer you but might know someone who does. Without some practical experience in the industry, you may find you're more of a hindrance to studios who have deadlines they need to meet and may have to accept more internships to get experience, but you'll learn fast on the job. My personal experience of studios in Manchester, even larger ones, is most are very friendly and welcoming towards anyone who's prepared to learn so just get out there and get talking to them.

My advice would be to build up and improve your portfolio and meet some people in the industry ASAP to get things moving.

Back