Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack's Mannequin

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Went to a Jack's Mannequin gig at Kings College Student Union last night, one of the best gigs I've been to, was a really small venue so had a great view and amazing live performance!!

Will post a few YouTube links once I get the videos uploaded tonight :)

2. captainrage

captainrage Senior Member

A mate of mine went to that gig.. She loved it.

I'm not keen though.

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

Was an excellent gig :up:
    It was my girlfriend who really wanted to go, but really glad I went along too!

4. captainrage

Her name isn't Diana is it?

*shifty eyes*

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

It isn't - it's Viki
    <detective>Diana is your friend?</detective>

6. :lol: ahhh the joys of confusion... :lol:

7. captainrage

Haha.. Yeah, Diana is a friend..

*shifty eyes again*

Jacks Mannequin just seem a bit.. Twee, in a non-good way. A bit.. Scouting For *killmyself* Girls.

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

Please don't compare them to scouting for girls!! :cry:

9. captainrage

It's just that horrible, safe, coffee table music.. Which is fine, you know, if that's what you're into. I just want to tie it to a rock and throw it in the sea..

*runs away*

10. Greg

Greg Active Member

Each to their own! But I wouldn't say it's safe, coffee table music :down: (as funny as I found that comment) I'd say the inclusion of the piano with guitars in a band isn't safe by any means, and takes a great deal of talent to pull off and still have a great melody/sound :up:

11. tim

tim Senior Member

wow - greg's a web and music geek!

12. Greg

Greg Active Member

lol, not quite, well a web geek yes, but not music, just been to a few gigs and Reading festival a few times :)

13. tim

tim Senior Member

ooh wow, fun!

BTW greg, after seeing that michelin man image (costume thingy), I've had random intervals of bursts of laughter.... one of which was in my maths GCSE on monday!

14. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah Reading Festival is great, highly recommend going at least once!

:lol: Michelin Man?! Whilst I admit that would be funny as a Halloween costume, it was actually the Stay Puft Marshmallow man!!! Have you not seen Ghostbusters Tim? If you haven't then I'm going to feel old! - Stay Puft Marshmallow Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. captainrage

Reading is dead..
    It's all about SXSW, Coachella, Bestival and Latitude..

I see what you're saying about "melody" and sound, but (sticking to the genralisation I made before) Scouting for Girls have drums and guitars, as do Keene.. And they all sound the same.

I think you should have a listen to 'The National', 'Band of Horses' and 'Frightened Rabbit'.. A couple of recommendations, they have melody, but manage to shake it up a bit. And maybe some 'Magnet' or 'Bat For Lashes' if you need something calmer..

16. Greg

Greg Active Member

Have you been to Reading captainrage? I've not been to SXSW, Coachella, Bestival or Latitude, so can't say what they're like, but Reading is excellent! and judging by the speed the tickets sell out each & every year it's certainly not 'dead'!

Can I just clarify and say I don't like Scouting for Girls & Keane :) not sure what the point was in reference to drums and guitars, most bands do have those, my point with JM was that they have a piano and drums and guitars, which is a bit different IMO.

Just tried a few tracks from The National, Band of Horses & Frightened Rabbit on Spotify, and the word that springs to mind from the very small selection I listened to was 'mellow', I was expecting something more energetic/heavier after your previous posts?

17. captainrage

Oh no, I was going by you liking Jack's Mannequin, I'm more than happy to throw in some less "mellow" bands..

When you say that they have a piano and drums and guitars, but that's a bit different.. What do you mean? Different to Girls Aloud? Different to Keene and Scouting for Girls.. (I only used those two as that is who Jack's Mannequin remind me of).

Sorry man, I hope you don't think I'm picking, I love music, and I love when people love music.. I'm always up for a listen to something new, and love discussing it.. Like this.

edit----
    Yeah, I've been to Reading a couple of times, I wasn't a fan actually.. I'm not sure why, possibly the music, the atmosphere.. I'm not sure.

But ticket sales don't mean anything, look at how many tickets Take That sell.

edit x2-----
    No offense to the Take That fans..

18. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ahh OK cool, thought they were just random bands you liked :)
    and yes definitely different to the pop "bands" you mention!

No I don't think your picking, I enjoy discussing music, I don't know a great deal and have zero musical talent myself, but love listening to all genres :)

When did you go to Reading? As I say I've only been twice but have tickets for this year..

19. captainrage

Ooh.. I went back in.. 1998/9/2000? That time-ish..
    I'm actually a bit of Glasto veteran.. My dad used to take me when I was younger.. And ended up going through routine.. Stopped last year though as it had gotten really tired.
    Maybe its an age thing, but it just seemed like the line-ups had really watered down.. they just ended up showing washed up "legends" and Top of The Pops bands.

Who are you looking forward to seeing this year? What's the line up like?

I'm currently really into a festival called ATP: All Tomorrows Parties.. And was almost on the verge of buying tickets to the Flaming Lips one in New York.. Alas the credit crunch.

20. Greg

Greg Active Member

Line-up isn't out yet, we got pre-release tickets after last year, they sell a set number a week after the event. Line-up rumours going round are Green Day, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, AC/DC, Blink 182... none have been confirmed yet as far as I know, usually comes out around Easter time.

Saw Green Day at Milton Keynes and Foo's at Wembley last Summer, would be good to see both of those again. Other than that just like watching new bands, and discovering new bands to follow :)