iStockPhoto selling logos

Dave1975

Got an e-mail from iStock this morning, sure many of you did, and was disappointed to read what their latest strategy/addition is going to be!

We're excited to announce a whole new product coming to the iStock collection in just a few months: logo designs. Our clients will be able to download a unique logo to brand their business or organization right here at iStock from designers like you.

As a designer, you've probably created hundreds of different logos over the course of your career and we're offering you an outlet to start selling new logos to the world’s largest community of creative buyers.
I can't understand why iStock would wish to devalue their existing profile by providing cheap template style logo designs?! Surely they would be better sticking to selling stock photos (the core business) and stock vectors/videos. It annoys me and frustrates me that they mention 'a unique logo to brand their business', OK so there is a slim chance that it will be unique, but clearly not unique for the business in question, as a logo designer the research and understanding of the clients business and marketplace is the key to a successful identity, this is just wiped out with the new iStock offering.

What's everyone thoughts on this?
The official iStock forum thread has had a very mixed reaction!

well that means that designers who do corporate ID and the like will be out of luck a bit, because clients can easily download an iStock logo template, change the name, and bish bash bosh all done.. I think its a really bad move by iStock and I hope that they retract it. :(

From reading through the thread on iStock apparently there will be some functionality for buyers to contact designers to get default text changed to the company name. Will this kind of service just attract the business' that would use design contest sites? or will it attract potential clients of professional designers?

I think it will attract people wanting to save money on their corporate ID and stuff which in itself is good for the client.. not good for the designer as I doubt that the designer would want to use it (or be able to use it) as part of a portfolio of work.. :(

Funny...my iStock email this morning was "Tip of the Month - Finding Receipts" not a word about the logos.

Only heard about it from this post, then David Airey on Twitter. One is not impressed.

I agree with Br3n. I don't think this will change much. I believe that most serious companies will still use Graphic Designers and Design agencies as they get a much more personal service that way.

I think most companies and clients realize that you get a more unique result, and one that has been researched thoroughly to suit the particular business, from hiring a designer. I also think most clients prefer the back and forth between client and designer, and the ability to finetune their logo until they're happy with the final outcome.

Back