Is udemy course certificate worth to put in a graphic designers resume?

nayan

nayan

Hey everyone,
How many of you have taken a udemy course?
And how many of you guys have made it a part of your resume ?
deos it really help that much if i put the certificate with my resume?

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
It might be worth adding to your resume if it's a secondary/supporting skill you've learnt through a course, but I doubt udemy courses are recognised as real qualification. They're more for learning skills in your own time as they often just ask 'experts' to produce courses for them. I was asked about producing a design course a few years back, which speaks volumes for their selection process. They basically picked me because of a blog I run, they didn't really want to see credentials or work, but because my blog made me seem like an expert, they approached me.

nayan

nayan

It might be worth adding to your resume if it's a secondary/supporting skill you've learnt through a course, but I doubt udemy courses are recognised as real qualification. They're more for learning skills in your own time as they often just ask 'experts' to produce courses for them. I was asked about producing a design course a few years back, which speaks volumes for their selection process. They basically picked me because of a blog I run, they didn't really want to see credentials or work, but because my blog made me seem like an expert, they approached me.
I didnt knew about their selection process,thanks for sharing.its bit short but i think they must have saw some great work in your blog.Thats why they selected you.
And do the recruiters give any percentage of attention to the certificate as per your experience?

scotty

scotty

Staff member
So... I'm thinking that it's an online course?

I guess it depends on the course really as there are ones that are recognised, recognised trainers and others that are not.
I reckon you could include it as long as it's not going to make you look silly like "I've watched plenty of stuff on YouTube". ;)

nayan

nayan

So... I'm thinking that it's an online course?

I guess it depends on the course really as there are ones that are recognised, recognised trainers and others that are not.
I reckon you could include it as long as it's not going to make you look silly like "I've watched plenty of stuff on YouTube". ;)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Levi

Levi

Staff member
Taken from https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229603868-Certificate-of-Completion

please note Udemy is not an accredited institution, and as a result, the certificates cannot be used for formal accreditation
... so basically it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Mind you it does say some courses offer additional certificates direct from their tutors as udemy is kind of 'sub selling' the course, I wouldn't necessarily say they're any better in a lot of cases though.

Open University in the UK is seen as a 'proper' university in the UK though, although for some people it's not seen as 'equal' to an actual uni degree etc.