Is this a WordPress.org theme?

Jri

Hi all,

I love the grid layout of this person's site.

I see that layout everywhere (I don't mean just a generic grid, but that exact spacing combined with the logo top left, menu top right format, social media lozenges presented as they are here etc...). Do any of the more web-savvy designers here recognise the layout as a WordPress theme or indicative of some other CMS?

I know it's possible that due to the simplicity of the layout - web designers just naturally come to the same optimal conclusion a lot of the time, but I thought I'd ask the question.

My thinking is that it could be a WordPress theme, but I noticed it has a shop section (potentially a plugin maybe?).

Any ideas?

Aha!

Damn their square hides. Expensive packages they're running there, £120/year?

It's obviously popular, but what are the benefits of Squarespace over the rest of the market? Lots of the comparison sites seem to juggle Wordpress, Wix and Squarespace in their top three, but that's a significant price gap.

£120/year isn't expensive. £10/month is less than a lot of people spend on coffee each week.

Squarespace is popular but it ties you in to their platform forever. Wordpress with woocommerce is free, all you have to do is pay for hosting. And you have access to thousands of themes some of which will look similar to the one you like.

But the one you like is a bespoke theme. You could get one just like that created for a few hundred pounds. Or you could build it yourself - it's not that difficult if you follow one of the many tutorials. Most of the code is simply CSS on a set of standard templates.

Nah, I disagree.

People spend thousands per year on used cars, but £120 is still expensive for a site like this. I have WordPress.org installed on a host that isn’t really the cheapest I could get and that Squarespace package is still triple the cost.

Fair enough.

Are you going to build your own theme? It really isn't that complicated. I built my own theme for my first wordpress site without knowing anything about PHP.

PS, not sure what your mean by wordpress.org. Wordpress.org is where they host your site for you. Wordpress.com is where you go get your self hosted version.

I’m still fairly new to it, but essentially:

WordPress.org:
You download their CMS files to your machine, then upload them to your own host server. You access it via a built in back end that is hosted at your own domain.

WordPress.com:
Online blogging platform hosted by them, you just log into a sort of user area via their site.

I have the former, I have a rudimentary HTML/CSS understanding, so am probably going to experiment with my own design, but via the WordPress.org CMS.

My hosting is £30 for the year including my .com and it doesn't go up either.
You can get a theme for free and there are literally 100's to choose from it buy a premium pretty cheaply.
Uploading it is a piece of p@ss and my host even did it for me for free.

Back