Is this a scam inquiry ?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i need you opinions. This seems like a scam to me, whats your thinking?

Got this email today:

Hello

It is my pleasure to read back from you concerning the service needed you for . I am so sorry for my late response , well I would need to give you the more detail of the service to be render below as regards the advert of the banner

=======================

My wood carve arts are of affordable price. kindly contact me on my below information to know much about my way of service and carving of any form of arts to your maximum satisfaction with wood. wood carving design is my profession and I would carve a perfected arts to your wish as I would be instructed to do.

Jerry Henderson
234 Lemmon Ave.
Dallas TX 75219
U.S.A

OR

129 Chiltern Court
138 Baker Street London NW15SS

PHONE: (phone removed)

email: (email removed)

============================================

the above information would be included into the banner and the banner would be designed on 125 x 125 size or you should make it on a perfection viewable size that it would be easily view and understand the content by any viewers

More so , kindly send me your full name and address with your phone number so I can make the payment payable to you inform of secure check . I would look forward for the information as soon as you get the payment you would immediately state the work

my other option for the payment it is via Credit Card telegraphic transaction in which the payment would require your full name and your credit card number alone for the transaction.

Kindly choose and provide any of the payment method in the next mail for this service payment

I will look forward to read from you

Jerry

--- 2011年3月19日 星期六,Harlequin Studio <[email protected]> 寫道﹕

寄件人: Harlequin Studio (email Removed)
主題: Re: banner advert
收件人: "jerry henderson" (email removed)
日期: 2011年3月19日,星期六,上午1:06

Hi Jerry

Sorry for the late reply, i have been away on holiday.

To give you a reasonable quote i would have to know the size of the banner but if we are just talking about a normal website banner i could do that for £30.00.

If this appeals to you then please let me know.

Kevin
Studio Art Director

-----Original Message----- From: jerry henderson
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 8:36 PM Subject: banner advert

Hello

Fortunately for me to locate your email as a professional web designer
in U.K, I would love to know your charge for a page banner advert
and the advert is base on the marketing of my wood carving arts and
this would be posted in the banner with their price and the location
of my office with my contact information

I would be so glad to get to know your charge in the next mail

Jerry

headers would likely be able to say better but my instincts are saying yes.

Text doesn't read as American but does read as asian/oriental and it does have what looks like kanji (jap/chinese text).

I've had something very similar, possibly exactly the same, I deleted it so can't check. Scam or not I deleted it on the basis I had no clue what they we're after and I don't think they do either so wasn't worth my time.

Yeah im thinking the same, this part worrys me, with the details they want

More so , kindly send me your full name and address with your phone number so I can make the payment payable to you inform of secure check . I would look forward for the information as soon as you get the payment you would immediately state the work

my other option for the payment it is via Credit Card telegraphic transaction in which the payment would require your full name and your credit card number alone for the transaction.

ha had something from the same guy, seemed very odd and also sent me a second request not even querying the first. When ever I asked him questions he would just answer yes, so I kept asking which one and all I got was YES!! I just got fed up and left it, not heard from him since.

I had an identical one about a fortnight ago, I asked him to clarify some specifications about the banner a couple of times and he kept trying to pay me so I just sent an address to post a cheque to but haven't heard anything.

Yeah It's fake, I had the same email today after I replied to him.:down:

PS. There is no

234 Lemmon Ave. in Dallas TX

All+signs+point+to+yes.jpg

I live in Detroit, I got the same email as everyone else has. I got the first email mid march, the second just 2 days ago, typed the same and all. Quite an odd scam. Thanks for the heads up peoples

I've had a few emails asking for my full address, often disguised as job offers written in poor engrish!

scam51.jpg

I got this email also, being one to very turn work away I pursued the work.

Nearly all of the texts are the same as those above.

here's the weird part!!!

I now have a cheque from Bank of Scotland posted from New York ' perhaps his associate' it arrived about 6 days after he said it would.

I quoted £90 + VAT the cheque was made out to me for £2600.00.

Wow, I hear you say that is some tip!

Money Laundering maybe!!

Did anyone else get cheques yet?

ascottmason said:
I got this email also, being one to very turn work away I pursued the work.

Nearly all of the texts are the same as those above.

here's the weird part!!!

I now have a cheque from Bank of Scotland posted from New York ' perhaps his associate' it arrived about 6 days after he said it would.

I quoted £90 + VAT the cheque was made out to me for £2600.00.

Wow, I hear you say that is some tip!

Money Laundering maybe!!

Did anyone else get cheques yet?

I received a cheque for £2,600 yesterday also. Shred it, I guess!

According to the some sites dodgey cheques can take weeks to bounce, by then, they have realised the error, asked you for some / most of the money packk which you duely pay. then the bank reclaims the money from your account! hey presto they have your cash.

LOOPHOLE THAT EXPOSES US TO CHEQUE FRAUD - mirror.co.uk

thanks for your help everyone.
lol - would have been good pay for the evening!

Hey there, I'm a junior graphic and web designer in the UK [currently unemployed, currently seeking whatever really now], and I just signed up to thank so much the OP of this thread! :clap:

I was literally just going to send off a check back to this 'Jerry Henderson' today the agreed difference in the amount his check gave me [£180 out of £2,600, so £2,420].
But only when I was writing the address on the check envelope did I really see the address for the first time, and so by a chance, random flair of thought I typed in '129 Chiltern Court' to Google and came across this thread.

I won't bother to describe my own experience as the OP of this thread sums it up pretty nicely.

Though I never gave my finished Flash Web Banner work over [so I can still - and will - use this work on my CV to my advantage], so that's something to take out of this lesson.

Again, I can't thank you enough. :)

~ Dan

PS - I noticed that this thread was posted two weeks ago - exactly the time I was first approached via email. Who'd thunk it?

Back