Is the web as important as water?

Jazajay

A new survey conducted in 26 countries around the world reveals four out of five people believe internet access to be a right, not a privilege......with a country's technological infrastructure deemed just as important as more traditional utilities, such as roads and water.

Cite: PCPro

So what do you reckon, are you 1 of those 5 that believes its not? Berry? :p

um i know this is quite obvious... but i'm sure that water is far more important than the internet.. thats just me though.. :)

It would be interesting to see if any DFers could survive without the internet for a week or 2 while not on holiday :lol: of course this would have to be done without interrupting work :)

Was it an online poll? It's ridiculous isn't it, there's around 1 billion people worldwide without access to safe drinking water, i'd say their need to get on facebook or to tweet the next village is a pretty low priority. :down:

I'm not sure where I stand, I feel that it is not even remotely necessary to connect the whole world on the internet, however feel that I could not function in the same manner I do today ( which I feel is quite well all in all ) without the internet...

the survey wasnt saying internet access is as important as access to clean water or food.

the point of it was to show how the world has become dependent on the internet, and for those who cant afford a computer or internet packages, the internet should be made freely available. it is fast becoming a human right. that was the point of the survey. does should someone who lives in a nice house in the UK have more right to surf the net than a guy who lives in a remote village in a 3rd world country?

personally I think it should be freely available to everyone, otherwise those with no access are at a disadvantage when it comes to things like applying for jobs, communication via email, keeping in touch with world news and issues.
________
BUY HERBALAIRE

Could I live without the internet - yes.
Could I do my work as easily without the internet - no.
Is the internet as important as water - probably, without money I can't get water easily.

Berry can tell you all about the dark old days when a man on a motorbike would turn up to pick up a disc
or deliver posis....

Levi you could always send your files via .... ahem... Royal Mail.... good luck.
I remember packing original artwork illustrations up for recorded delivery to the publishing house in London.... fingers crossed it got there!

Oh I do still send files by post, I send higher res/large file size renderings via recorded delivery. It's not exactly a viable thing to send the test renders which are done to ensure they get what they're after, it would take at best a day for each post to arrive versus a few minutes over email :)

Yes, internet has taken a part of our way of life. For many jobs (your enterprise looks more serious if it has a website, or to communicate, to buy/sell, etc) but even with the studies, you have some documents that you can only take on the univerty's website (if you can't, there are computers with internet at the university).
And there are even some things weird like this one : if you want to get internet, or if you have a problem with your internet installation, you have to go on internet.
real life-experience : "Yes, Hello, internet doesn't work at home, what should I do ?
-Check on our website..."

Internet is like a new territory. It is the creation of a new land, where the rules are different, often without any border (well, "often", indeed, because some pages are limited to a territory).
It's not "come in my office", it's rather "come on my website".
But we can't live in this territory, so... it is not so important for our life, it is just very useful nowadays.

Yep. Next question. :p

In all honesty I wouldn't be where I am today without the internet. Its such a valuable learning resource among other things.

Back