Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is London the new fashion capital of the world?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by WEBIAN, Sep 19, 2011.

1. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

2. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

3. berry

berry Active Member

I thought Middlesborough was?

4. rossnorthernunion

Pfffttt...

Stockton.

Thats where its at.

5. I always thought it was Bognor... the capital of the fashion world.

6. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

7. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

No London is not the new fashion capital...

Fashion shows need to pull in known famous people and London doesn't do that. Milan and Paris still manage to do that, London had Pippa Middleton and Peaches Geldoff........ Even New York managed to have the fashionista's present lol

8. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Please tell me the purpose of this thread is project research... ;)

9. berry

berry Active Member

Where does Wayne & Colleen live????

10. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

In a way I could say it is a project, but not that kind of project! :)
    Not the boring thing like a questionnaire or an essay...

We are communicators and I am trying to study this aspect of our
    cognitive reality. How we perceive London, Paris, Milan, etc.
    Why is London so homely, which we love anyway...
    Paris and Milan so edgy. NY so hard to define (in my opinion/perception),
    but definitely chic.

Observing these phenomena / tendencies could be useful for branding,
    in the long run. Anyway my mind is not always totally square and concrete.
    This is what pops into my mind during these September days in Rome
    after a long long hot period in August...

Ian

11. rossnorthernunion

It's New York.

Next question.

12. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Ok, fair enough. I wouldn't describe London as Homely though... would you?!

13. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't say London is homely either.....

14. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

It is when I look at it from here, after traveling around Europe
    a lot. I've been to Paris quite often and to Milan occasionally (work). Other places
    (holiday so they don't count). Am I just home sick? LOL :D Jokes apart, if you
    venture in these type of things; full immersion in a different country / countries,
    you gain some more perspectives. You see things that you couldn't see
    before... so now London and England feel homely to me, but it's a nice
    thing; I wouldn't like changing it.

Next question?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjesjbEQpqM"]Amélie (2001) - You're so cool - YouTube[/ame]
    Isn't that romantic? :cool:
    Only joking... and no drinks... watch the atmosphere...

15. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

The point I'm making is about brand. Isn't that ^ an example of branding?
    Seriously; I'm not joking.

16. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Why would you consider that branding?

I know what you mean about missing home when you're living in a different culture as I've done it. So if London is where you're from, then I see where you're coming from. But my perception of London is definitely not one of homeliness.

I learned to appreciate my family back home more and the British country side.

17. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Because it communicates the character of a culture with just a few elements. But these elements are such strong communicators that you can recognise France even if you don't know much about it, like in the branding of clothes. E.i. we recognise a type of life style when we see items by Nike, Prada, Chanel, Dior etc... So I associate that to branding.

I might be wrong. Obviously when we talk about perception it's not like when we talk about math, but I feel that in Britain we love the concept of family more than we are aware of. Oops; Yes, I'm from London, but I'm comparing it to other capitals around the world, not to different areas of Britain. I perceive Britain as whole as a country that believes in marriage, children... I can see the all family around a Christmas tree, when I think about it for here. God I really do sound home sick! :)

Probably the word I'm searching for is not homely, but one that can express more appreciation and positive feelings than that.

I perceive Paris and Milan as somehow more urban. People do have feelings, though; they are more romantic but less the family type, IMO, but who knows: that's why - as I was saying - this topic feels like branding to me: because I haven't got any stats to check in order to support this idea, but I can somehow feel it and , hopefully, communicate it.

How to turn this into constructiveness? For example, I've been thinking about actually branding a party in London, in a way that it will communicate a French atmosphere. Wonder whether it's going to work...

18. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

It seems to me that you've put a lot of thought into this, but that you've also maybe gone off on a bit of a tangent! haha Now don't take that the wrong way, I just think you're using the term 'branding' a little too loosely.

I wouldn't consider that film to be branding, I would consider that to be a film... I guess there are some similarities in creating a brand experience for gain in sales for a product/service, and that of creating a viewing experience in cinema - but I wouldn't consider a film itself to be branding. In a film you could use certain brands to portray a character or place with certain values that we can relate to, but I don't think that that makes the film itself branding.

With your party, the difference between 'branding' a party with a French atmosphere and just having people dress up 'French', will be in the experience that you create. I'm still thinking that the use of 'branding' here is a little loose too.

19. jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999 Junior Member

Not at all - it's too chavvy from my experience. The Olympics will destroy all optional culture for 2012 so everything will take a backseat unfortunately anyway.

20. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Possibly.

What word would you use (only one word) to refer to a set of elements which communicates the culture of a country? In this case France.

Can you explain this more in details?