Is it possible...

davewill

(Sorry if this is something that has been talked about before on here, but...) I am a graphic designer with hardly any knowledge of the web, so I can make websites look nice in photoshop and design pages of content, layouts etc but I have no idea how to make all those nice images actually work on a page. If I was to take on freelance work designing a site for a client, is it normal that I could design it and then hire someone myself to code it and do all the web wizardry side of stuff? If so, is this expensive? I know I really shud learn myself, but theres so many sides to the world of design I cant find the time to learn them all just yet!!!
________
Live Sex

depends on the website mate. The coder will charge you per hour as long as you make it very clear what needs to be done. A website layout mock up is quicker and easier to do, so expect the coder to get more money than you:p

h_freezy said:
depends on the website mate. The coder will charge you per hour as long as you make it very clear what needs to be done. A website layout mock up is quicker and easier to do, so expect the coder to get more money than you:p

Not necessarily. I work extremely fast so my hourly rate averages out pretty damn cheap over a project.

haha, i thought u might say that! and thanks harry, its a project I have been offered which involves a full redesign of a website, but i really dont know if its too big for me, theres about 20 pages, log in sections, members areas, booking forms, basically loadsa stuff i cant do, but I can design it! and trust me, it badly needs redesigning! so i cant make my mind up if its going to be worth my while going for it or not!
________
Coopers cam

Harry said:
Not necessarily. I work extremely fast so my hourly rate averages out pretty damn cheap over a project.

PSD to html very fast and cheap...............those combination sounds awesome!

davewill said:
haha, i thought u might say that! and thanks harry, its a project I have been offered which involves a full redesign of a website, but i really dont know if its too big for me, theres about 20 pages, log in sections, members areas, booking forms, basically loadsa stuff i cant do, but I can design it! and trust me, it badly needs redesigning! so i cant make my mind up if its going to be worth my while going for it or not!

thats where CMS comes in........................get it?

davewill said:

Ah you'd need a developer and programmer for that one then. Quite a biggie. You'd do more outsourcing than working meaning it'd inflate the project's cost to more than the client would need to (therefore maybe want to) pay.

Well I'm a developer, I build sites (HTML, CSS etc) but a programmer* would write scripts that allow for database interaction and whatnot (for the logins and member areas).

*term used loosely

oh ally, im so glad u said that! i thort it was just me! i am really interested in web design, i just dont know where to start!

harry: thanks again, ur being a great help, so i take it if i designed it and u built it then we could have a basic website but if we needed log in areas and members stuff then we would need a programmer to make the bits that holds and stores all the info such as member details and passwords? am i on the right lines?
________
How to roll a joint

davewill said:
oh ally, im so glad u said that! i thort it was just me! i am really interested in web design, i just dont know where to start!

harry: thanks again, ur being a great help, so i take it if i designed it and u built it then we could have a basic website but if we needed log in areas and members stuff then we would need a programmer to make the bits that holds and stores all the info such as member details and passwords? am i on the right lines?

You're spot on right mate.

A more viable business venture for you would be to design sites that don't need a database and then only outsource the build to a developer. That way you're not losing too much control of the project and you're still getting a decent chunk of cash (your costs + markup on outsourcing = more profit).

Yeah that's totally how I feel dave, I mean i've been trying to make my own portfolio site through wordpress but even this is proving difficult. I really want to learn to build it myself, but maybe it just ain't for me?!

Harry is photoshop or illustrator better for the design side?

thanks harry, (are you charging your hourly rate for all this advice?!? ;) ) sounds like a good idea to stick to more simple sites for now. ive never bothered going for web design redesigns as i was always scared off by my lack of knowledge on the mechanics and the process involved but this forum is an awesome place to find stuff like this out so i really appreciate it! im even tempted now to design my personal website and if i do ill give you a PM if your available to do your thing!
________
Curvy Webcam

as far as i understand it ally we shud use photoshop everytime rather than illustrator, makes it far easier to be then used by the web people
________
WEB SHOWS

allyally2k said:
Yeah that's totally how I feel dave, I mean i've been trying to make my own portfolio site through wordpress but even this is proving difficult. I really want to learn to build it myself, but maybe it just ain't for me?!

Harry is photoshop or illustrator better for the design side?

Photoshop is standard, or Fireworks. Illustrator can be used for elements like buttons but not typically full layouts.

davewill said:
thanks harry, (are you charging your hourly rate for all this advice?!? ;) ) sounds like a good idea to stick to more simple sites for now. ive never bothered going for web design redesigns as i was always scared off by my lack of knowledge on the mechanics and the process involved but this forum is an awesome place to find stuff like this out so i really appreciate it! im even tempted now to design my personal website and if i do ill give you a PM if your available to do your thing!

Haha the amount of free work I've done on here… no point charging for my advice now ;)
It all depends on how much control you're willing to lose. If you can find a decent programmer and developer in one then it might not be too bad, otherwise one of each means you're essentially managing two people plus clients' expectations which might not be worth the amount of money you'd make out of it.

And yep, PM away :)

Back