Is it possible...

davewill said:
as far as i understand it ally we shud use photoshop everytime rather than illustrator, makes it far easier to be then used by the web people

Its down to personal Preference, but I have generally found that designs/mockups in photoshop if done correctly, groups and layers (Named) really does speed up the web devs job as they can easily get to the elements they need in order to build the visual presentation of the project.

yeh sunburn, i gotta agree, even in general graphic design jobs are so much easier when work is layered and named correctly, nothing worse than spending valuable time searching for that pesky layer 56 that you just cant figure out where its hiding!
________
Juicynka

Ok thanks for advice. So you just make each webpage a layer and each object such as logos a separate layer too? Is there a book you can get that is specifically for learning how to get your design ready for development? Also can you design a layout in photoshop get a developer to make it so it can be used in wordpress-so the content can easily be edited?

Typically you would group related layers together that is, if your header graphic or section in the mockup is made up of several elements you would then group these elements into related layers which then are then grouped into a named folder.

this way a developer is working on say your header navigation can look at your PSD file, find the group/folder called header then inside that find the layer(s) called navigation and extract what he/she needs

A lot of developers can do psd to wp (wordpress) ifs not overly difficult, however, I would advise at looking at the available options out their as for me personally wordpress is not one size fits all solution most of the time.

Also, its worth noting the developer may not notice a subtle gradient on layer 166 which is should be but is not found layer sequence 29-34 (example) and such sometimes the outcome is a design that is missing parts, be keeping related stuff together keeps everyone happy.

So is there alternatives that are better than wordpress? Or is it just custom built stuff and isn't this expensive?!

allyally2k said:
So is there alternatives that are better than wordpress? Or is it just custom built stuff and isn't this expensive?!

Hi ally, from my experience it all comes down to the specifications for the project, if the site is pretty basic and will need some form of blog or news functionality then Wordpress can work very well. If however the requirements are more specific then the time spent modifying Wordpress to get it to complete the functions would be better spent on a custom built site. I think beyond a set of simple features you're better off going custom, but as I say all depends on the spec and requirements :)

Basically what Greg said :) its surprising though, that bespoke doesn't always mean expensive, another plus point for bespoke is due to its nature the security aspect of the software can be a lot better then running an off the self solution such as wordpress, which require continuous maintenance work to keep it patched up and upto date.

I've always been interested to know what a coder would charge, as an example for a 20 page html/css site with basic navigation from a psd layout.
Someone must be able to give a "it would be from £[insert ball park figure] or around so and so £....?

or i did a project a few weks ago and charged them....£?

Harry said:
I could do that, yeah. Not publicly though haha.

lol why not, I'm sure it would be a positive move as there are a lot of people that want to know the answer....

If not then a PM would be cool.

:)

Well I'm not one to discuss finances unnecessarily, so if people want to know, I can PM them prices, otherwise I'd rather not announce it haha.

PM me your question if you like though…

Harry said:
Well I'm not one to discuss finances unnecessarily, so if people want to know, I can PM them prices, otherwise I'd rather not announce it haha.

PM me your question if you like though…

nevermind then

id be really interested to know harry, so if you dont mind taking the time to PM me, based on charles' earlier hypothetical brief, that would be excellent. and if you could explain how u break the cost down as well that would be really interesting. thanks!
________
Live Sex

Ok lets try it this way :)

How much would you charge me to design a 20 page html/css site with basic navigation in the form of a psd layout.

Ill then tell you how much 'ball park' id charge to develop it :)

On reading this thread further, there are a couple of points id like to make, The amount of COST for one project does not directly correlate to the COSTS of another (similar).
And It's better if you come to your own decision on how much you think something is worth paying for, rather than try to get ideas of what other people charge.
When it comes down to justification / breakdown of charges, then you need to have more faith in your service(s).

I value my life at xyz, that doesn't mean a terrorist does for example ;)

thanks harry for the pm, im with you, theres no need and no benefit stating your costs in a public environment, and by PM'ing its a really useful yet private way of sharing information, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, im thinking i mite write a new blog post on this topic, it seems like theres quite a few people interested in the subject.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY

I dunno, I guess I believe it should be a flat per hour cost or just clearly outlined as a I can do this for this much otherwise it makes your business unapproachable for the masses if there is no idea of cost. But I also understand there are millions of variations in briefs so can understand why it isn't possible to do that.

Back