Is helvetica overrated?

Helvetica is a beautiful font and IMO timeless.
I wouldn't stop myself using it if it work just because it might seem over used. Context is everything.
I do a fair amount of work for BMW, their house font is a slight variation of Helvetica (they got fed up paying each time!).

I don't think it's overrated but it is overused/poorly used. People seem to think they can use it 'straight from the box' but the truth is you can't (poor kerning for a start). I think used properly it will remain timeless, just like its documentary (well worth a watch).

Good points Harry. I was almost tempted to argue but your totally right that far too many designs use Helvetica straight out of the box (same with any font really).
As time goes on though I've found kerning has become less of an issue it terms of font evaluation. It becomes something that you can adjust in your head while previewing suitable fonts.

Nice sites BTW, Web Design+ especially. Lovely white space mmmmm :)

well I use helvetica a bit, try to limit it uses within some stuff.. I much prefer using my custom made fonts (ones I make for my clients :)) makes things a bit more personal :D

How can a font be overrated?

I'm playing devils advocate here: Surely a font is a tool and if the tool is fit for the job intended...Mark

lol Mark! of course a font is a tool but this thread is a bit tongue-in-cheek. Helvetica is a bit overused though- perhaps because it is actually a very good font!

Have a sense of humour- it makes life a bit easier! ;-)

Just a thought!

PeterBarlow said:
perhaps because it is actually a very good font!

It's also come pre-packed with just about every graphics application available for years. It was even the default in Illustrator before Myriad and I believe it's still the default in Quark.

yeeeeeeeees and why do you think that is Matt?

(cos the people who make these decisions think its a very good font....its all about convincing those people something is good....even if YOU don't think its good!)

Myriad is still the default font in Quark (I just checked by booting up Quark 7).

@PeterBarlow "Have a sense of humour- it makes life a bit easier! ;-)"

Sod that! I'm a Catholic I don't want an easy life ;)

Oh no! religion and typography - what have I done.

Mark

It occurred to me once (when I was crossing out Comic Sans MS on a restaurant menu) that I'm a bit of an extremist.

Back