Is doing the golden ratio thing always good or bad

nayan

nayan

I have been making logos for a long time now.And i have been making them by different techniques and as they say if you make it by golden ratio then it looks pleasing to the eyes but sometimes when i make it without it.It looks good without that also(only sometimes).
So my question is that is it always good to do it the golden ratio??
What are you thoughts?

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
I don't think I've ever consciously used the golden ration to design something, least of all a logo or identity. If it looks good, it looks good, regardless of whether or not it follows a mathematical rule. Trust your eye.

nayan

nayan

its not like that dude people are using it for logo as well.Check it out
It is used for films etc also everything that you want to look pleasing which includes logos as well

scotty

scotty

Staff member
I've seen it used for logos.

Might be just me but it seems a little extreme and getting a design to fit the Golden Ratio must be a bit of a nightmare and very restrictive.

Levi

Levi

Staff member
The golden ratio really only applies to photography and paintings and maybe illustration sometimes.
you can add 3D renderings to it imo, at the end of the day a still made in a 3D setting should still follow the basic rules of taking a photo.

I wouldn't say I necessarily set out to 'fit' the golden ratio but at the very least subconsciously I am aware of it and so I probably do try to balance my work out to something close to it.

Mind you there are so many rules out there that we could follow that I'm sure we could find a rule to fit any design if we tried hard enough lol

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
its not like that dude people are using it for logo as well.Check it out
It is used for films etc also everything that you want to look pleasing which includes logos as well
I see this a lot, it's actually a bit of a trend. Some look good, and some just look weird and overly complicated. If you want to force yourself to use the ratio every time then go for it. Personally I draw my logos by hand first so I don't have the pleasure of being able to set a 'grid' based on the ratio.

nayan

nayan

I see this a lot, it's actually a bit of a trend. Some look good, and some just look weird and overly complicated. If you want to force yourself to use the ratio every time then go for it. Personally I draw my logos by hand first so I don't have the pleasure of being able to set a 'grid' based on the ratio.
I also understand this as i mentioned above it looks weird sometimes i dont force my self to use it everytime.I just try to use it if it looks good

Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Never used it really, I just forget. usually between me and the client and bothersome text overlays I just use my eye to balance things out.

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
I also understand this as i mentioned above it looks weird sometimes i dont force my self to use it everytime.I just try to use it if it looks good
The thing is with grids and particularly the golden ration, is you can often retrospectively apply these to something. Look at "Golden Ratio Memes" for example. Here's one:

Is doing the golden ratio thing always good or bad, , Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:

We did this at university, finding work we liked and reverse-engineering the design behind it to reveal why it was so appealing. I did something similar in this post from last year where I very roughly divided up a design to show why a particular design was "working".

As designers we subconsciously adjust elements to fit ratios and grids as we work. It's why a layout can look terrible until you scale something up/down or change it's position and suddenly everything is balanced. You're adhering to these rules, but you may not be aware of it. I tried to create a 'Golden Ratio logo' a while back, only using shapes of certain ratios but it just felt like a completely unnatural way of working for me. If that way of working works for you or someone else then more power to you.

nayan

nayan

The thing is with grids and particularly the golden ration, is you can often retrospectively apply these to something. Look at "Golden Ratio Memes" for example. Here's one:

View attachment 5765

We did this at university, finding work we liked and reverse-engineering the design behind it to reveal why it was so appealing. I did something similar in this post from last year where I very roughly divided up a design to show why a particular design was "working".

As designers we subconsciously adjust elements to fit ratios and grids as we work. It's why a layout can look terrible until you scale something up/down or change it's position and suddenly everything is balanced. You're adhering to these rules, but you may not be aware of it. I tried to create a 'Golden Ratio logo' a while back, only using shapes of certain ratios but it just felt like a completely unnatural way of working for me. If that way of working works for you or someone else then more power to you.
Yeah i didn't say that i wanted to work with it everytime but I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on it.Cuase just like you sometimes i also find it an uneven way.
By the way nice meme:LOL::LOL: