Is design tangible?

Tony

I created another similar thread to this about whether design is respected but it frustrates me how design is treated.

The latest example of this is a guy creating his own business and doesn't like the logos that the company designing his website have come up with.

So what does he do?

Go on a car forum and ask if anyone can do him a logo. I asked him what his budget was an he explained it was £0 and that he wanted someone to do it in their free time.

Which leads me to think either:

A) He doesn't take his business seriously

or

B) He doesn't take design seriously or see it as a tangible service

I mean i'm sure he will pay for his van, tools and website but the logo which will represent his business can be done on the cheap.

It's as if Graphic Design is like the Emperors Clothes and we are charging something for nothing.

The ease of access to getting a PC with the software means the entry barrier is very low, and the popularity of design online, through contest sites, means there's always a ton of kids in bedrooms waiting to design a cheap logo or two. This clearly devalues design as a whole, and leads to the situation where everyone thinks they can design, thniking all you need is some software, and secondly that design can be purchased very, very cheaply as there's always someone willing to go cheaper, or even worse, free for 'exposure'!!!

Send them the link to this video, Tony, hopefully it will help to make your point!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE"]YouTube - Harlan Ellison -- Pay the Writer[/ame]

Back