Is Blogging an essential business tool?

berry

I sent two managers to a marketing seminar that cost me an arm and a leg. One thing they both came back with was a higher opinion on social networking and blogging as a marketing tool to generate leads and business.

I am all for expanding into new areas that open markets and dialogue, but need opinion about whether this has a plus or minus factor in terms of effort, exposure, vunerability and return on investment. As a small/med agency of with a regional creative reputation - and me, with an mouth that you can put King Kong's foot in (and change his shoes at the same time) Am I opening myself up to criticism about what i might say from a business perspective? Social networking is a way forward but i feel it is great for individuals with no comeback. But neither do I want to miss an opportunity. Any views on my position? ( not just blogging)

Hi Berry,

I think blogging is a useful tool in generating new business and educating potential clients about the services you offer and the expertise your company has. Not sure if you have seen this company before, but I think they have the blogging side of their agency down to a fine art - Playgroup | Helping brands build genuine brand equity - the site is built around the blog, with every member of staff having their own blogging topics and posts.

In terms of putting your foot in it from a business perspective I think as long as you avoid any subjects/topics that are too controversial then I think it would be fine.

The power of social networking is huge (as Obama's election campaign has harnessed for example) but quite how you would apply the tools available to generating business leads for a creative agency, I really wouldn't know. I'm sure other forum members will be able to cast more light on this subject.

Greg

Good morning Greg,

I love controversy and stirring things up! No point having a life of experience and cow-towing to young puppies.
There'd be no fun in life! I've always had an opinion ( generally right!) but i would hate to dilute my genuine thoughts to water. I think in this business if you haven't got a voice your dead in the water. Black or White for me. No Grey. That position makes blogging a compromise to me.

Not suggesting that you dilute your thoughts at all, just suggesting that you would keep your blogging topics to related subjects and avoid anything that may cause controversy like religious subjects for example. I don't see any reason why posting your opinion on design topics would make blogging a compromise?

What would be the purpose of the blog for your business? Would you be hoping to entice new clients in? Would it be to network with other design companies and make new contacts in that way?

Not really sure, just have a feeling in my 'water' about this. Don't know why or what. Just know it's an opportunity.
I had a similar feeling in '86 when after a 7 hour demo, I persuaded the ad agency I was at, to get rid of drawing boards and spray mount and get these computers called Apple Macs.

I my personal experience and from what I read I can't see how blogging will ever become an essential business tool because at the end of the day I don't see the difference between that and say a newsletter.

I love blogs and blogging but the fact is there are too many blogs floating about alot of which probably never get read, so with that in mind I'm not sure how much direct 'new' business a blog will bring unless you first post is "Free websites here".

However if you can physically point penitential and current customers in the direction of the your company blog then it can really only serve to bridge the gap between client and company and given customers a better insight into your business.

A blog that I really like (and Berry with know this company) is OneBestWay. I think theres is a perfect example of how a blog and bring clients closer to design companies, especially with the quirkier posts they make.

mrleesimpson said:
IA blog that I really like (and Berry with know this company) is OneBestWay. I think theres is a perfect example of how a blog and bring clients closer to design companies, especially with the quirkier posts they make.

Yeh, ( gnash! gnash!) nice bridge by OneBestway ( gnash! gnash!)

I think design blogs are great. They are a great way of communicating with other designers and also it is a way of sharing work and get inspired by what other brilliant talents have done.
It is also a great way of sharing business, if this is needed.

Regards
Dan

mrleesimpson said:
I love blogs and blogging but the fact is there are too many blogs floating about alot of which probably never get read, so with that in mind I'm not sure how much direct 'new' business a blog will bring unless you first post is "Free websites here".

Where I agree that there is so many bllog's, every man and his dog has one now, that you do really need to offer something unique and of your own 'creation' to have any worthwhile visitors....

I think I have to disagree in the way that, if you look at http://www.davidairey.com I think he's totally managed to use blogging to his advantage, and I have no reason not to believe him when he states that all his work is generated via his blog/website.

I think his honesty and transparency about his work method's and the industry in general, make him a seemingly trustworthy person to hire, in my opinion.

But what do I know, I'm a trainee!! heh.

Back