irregular shapes in indesign (boxes)

arjenvdm

I am asked to design some boxes. I got the sizes and shapes in pdf. How do I use Indesign to design in these shapes (with bleed). I attach one of the shapes. (in jpg, the forum does not accept my pdf. I can place this is indesign, but then how do I place the colours of the different sides?

I'd just make a document the total size of that net (including bleed obvioulsy), then just import the PDF as a linked file and use it as a guide. You won't need to worry about staying perfectly to the lines because the whole shape will be trimmed and folded.

Personally I'd just use Illustrator, InDesign is a bit clunky for this kind of thing.

You don't need to add bleed. THe bleed is indicated by the dotted line.

You just need a page large enough to hold the PDF at 100% size - check the size of the PDF in acrobat.

Then make a page larger that in InDesign.

Just ensure any of the images that need to bleed off go at least to the dotted line.

I'd put it on a new layer, lock that layer too.

Then put your artwork over it.

At then end - turn off the layer containing the PDF - then export your file as normal.

The printers will have the keyline and match it up on machine.

Hi Hank, thank you. If I turn off the layer with the shape of the box, will they not cut it out in reverse?

Not at all. If worried you could supply 2 versions one with Proof in the name and then one with Artwork. Leave the pdf layer on for the proof.

Back